What's new

Shout factory doing great job (1 Viewer)

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H

Of the shows released by Shout! so far I think most were NBC/Universal. Sony in the past has been reluctant to license things out but thankfully that's changed. Shout! also released several Buena Vista/Disney shows. I have not heard of Warner Brothers licensing out ANY of their shows to any outside companies so far.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Hmmm again a year ago I was a huge fan of SHOUT! . That was until there abandonment of Ironside. All you fans of simon and simon , paper chase and rhoda be ready for one and done series sets because unless it Mchale's Navy shout has never finnish a tv series. Read Shouts forums the posts on Ironside and you become very unhappy that shouts releasing you favorite tv series they have ZERO commitment to series completion. You'll soon be reading your series is too labor intensive or it did sell a million copies after their stealth release and their canceling future seasons.Honestly I hope Shout gets out of dvd business soon their at best a fly by night dvd company that peek the interest of fans only to pull the plug and dash the hopes fans. Shout sucks and blows Im tell you guys Shout! will let you down just as SCTV and Ironside fans.:thumbsdown: :frowning: :thumbsdown: :angry: :thumbsdown: :angry: :frowning: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I thought Fox were going to bring more "Fall Guy" out, it's due on R2 next year. Maybe we can hope for SF! to do WKRP right, plus further "Quincy" and "McCloud" of the stalled Uni stuff. Would also love the rarity that is the early Linda Hamilton show "King's Crossing" (1982), one season made only (pilot and 9 episodes/three of those unaired apparently).

LCD22

Screenwriter

I did mention Fox will probably release Season 2 on the other page, but no one knows for sure and there's no official announcement yet.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Okay, so what you're saying is that there is no difference between Shout and every other company, and that if something doesn't sell, Shout isn't going to waste money to complete it because they're a business out to make money, not please fanboys... right?

Really... Shout has a better track record so far than the major studios. If SCTV and Ironside are the only abandoned projects by them so far that you enjoy, and you're this mad about those, you should be storming Sony and Fox with pitchforks and torches.

Anyways, I'm also glad to see Rhoda, more Spin City, and I'm hoping for Adam 12 season 3 soon.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

What about That Girl? They have released 4 of the 5 seasons and are currently working on season 5. Looks to me like they will finish that series.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Exactly. And That Girl has been a very strong seller.

We're in a climate now where studios (major or independent) can not afford to put out releases that they aren't going to make money on. I know it kills the people at Shout! to have to stop a series early because they are a company made up of people who love what they do, but it is still a business first and foremost.

I applaud them for taking the risks on all these new series, and while some will thrive, some will probably die on the vine and end early. But, IMO, I'd rather have a company put out 1 or 2 seasons of something than have a different company just sit on them for eternity. Sure it's not "complete", but it gives me something to watch and enjoy now and in the future.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
These new releases from the Fox/MTM vault raises my hopes of finally getting Peyton Place on DVD- come on, Shout- release this Emmy-winning classic now!

David Levine

Supporting Actor
IMO, Peyton Place is one of the scariest properties out there.

It's a show that the largest demographic of DVD buyers has most likely never (or barely) heard of.

It's over 500 episodes - meaning that unless a deal can be worked out where a company only has to pay if/when they decide to do a new release, it would be incredibly cost prohibitive.

What condition are the masters in? If it needs restoration, that's an enormous workload/expense.

The early episodes are B&W, and (sadly) that alone is enough to stop a lot of younger buyers from blind buying it.

I know it has many passionate fans, but I'd be really worried that there just aren't nearly enough of them. It's the type of thing that if a small studio licensed the whole thing and it bombed, it could take that company down.

For sure there are hundreds of "safer" properties available. I think for it to happen it might almost HAVE to be a Time Life complete set.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The only way I can see Peyton Place working is first have it appear on the Soap Opera channel or RTN to get people semi-hooked. Then after it runs for a while offer up the episodes as standard def on Blu-ray so you don't have to worry about releasing sets containing 40 DVDs. People won't have enough space on their DVR to record all 500 episodes so odds are they'll feel like they missed a key episode might plunk down the cash for the Complete Series. A show needs some sort of syndicated exposure to remind people that it's still as entertaining as when it ran all those years ago and hook new casual viewers. Dark Shadows and Donna Reed had runs on SciFi and TVLand to refresh their audience.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Won't happen. Retailers want nothing to do with SD on BR. There is still so much confusion among consumers that they don't want to do anything to muddy the waters.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
How rude are some people I posted a few requests on shout factory for a few shows I would like to see on DVD like Boston Public, Pepper Dennis, Drive, Relativity and The Lyon's Den and what response do I get from someone called BenCasey
"Your posts are ridiculous. Every show on your list with the exception of Boston Public was a failed series that bombed and none of them even had a full season. Two of them didn't even air all of their episodes. Why on earth would ANY company in their right mind put out any of these terrible series that were complete failures? As for Boston Public, do you not notice anything about the shows that Shout is putting out? Like maybe they are all at least between 20 and 40 years old? What gives you the idea that just because Fox is licensing their shows from the 70s and 80s that they would give out a show from this decade? Use some common sense and stop cluttering up every forum on the internet with requests for every single POS show that's aired in the last 10 years. If you really want them that badly, I'm sure you could go find them on ioffer or somewhere else. Maybe there you can find the COMPLETE box set of all 6 episodes of Drive."

Just because the shows might not be to his taste does not been he can ridicule mine and he obviously seems to support bootleggers something I certainly never will.
He also listed ioffer.com addresses for other shows I have requested where are all bootleg versions, not something you should post on a legitimate companies website.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Corey3rd, you're forgetting PP's run in the 90s on the now-defunct "Romance Classics" channel (which is now the "WE" Channel).

Dark Shadows had 1225 episodes, more than twice of Peyton Place's 514. Since DS was such a rousing success for MPI, PP can be for Shout!Factory in the same way.

Thank you, Nikki for defending me. David Levine, you should know better on this forum than to sneer at one's DVD 'wish list'. If you have the maturity to respect other people's choices, then you wouldn't be going around hurting people's feelings- like mine......

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I don't think David was sneering at anyone's DVD wish list, but he did state why Peyton Place would be a problematic release for an independent. (And since he worked for an independent, he knows of what he speaks.)

The reason Dark Shadows was a rousing success for MPI is that DS has a devout cult following, willing to support the releases, as well as other merchandise and yearly conventions. No matter how good a show Peyton Place was, its fanbase is markedly smaller.

David Levine

Supporting Actor

Charles, it was not meant in any way to be a "sneer", and if you took it that way, I apologize.

If you look back at my post, you'll see I outlined reasons why it could scare a smaller studio away, but I also offered up a way that I thought it could happen - a large enough (and wealthy enough) company like Time Life that has shown a willingness to take on the risks of a large in scope older series.

I do think that Dark Shadows is an interesting comparison because of number of episodes, but I also think the genre of it tends to fall more into the wheelhouse of a much larger DVD buying fanbase.

I'd be thrilled if Peyton Place came out on DVD - and I feel that way about any show or movie that there is a passionate fanbase for. I'm just saying that for a small studio, there are many more risks involved with this type of property.

--edit--

Let me add this as well, because I touched upon it in my earlier post:

If FOX would agree to a deal with Shout!, where they could license PP on a season-by-season basis (where they'd license 1 season, release it, and if both parties were happy, they'd have the first rights to license S2 and so on), I could see it happening. BUT, if they had to pay to license all 500+ episodes, and at some point it not only stopped being profitable, but got to the point where new releases would be losing money, it could kill (or at least seriously damage) the company.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Very well said. SHOUT! has done a great job recently and they are now pretty much at the top of my list. They listened to us when we complained about the syndicated cuts for Season 1 of "Father Knows Best" and corrected that with beautiful looking uncut episodes in their Season 2 set. They also communicate openly on their own boards, much more so than some of the big boys who we rarely hear a peep out of when problems arise [aka "The Fugitive" & "My Three Sons"].

Shout! Factory deserves as many accolades as we can give them at this time, as far as releases go. I've enjoyed many, many series thus far and look forward to more next year.

Gary "I do hope FKB has sold well enough to warrant a continuation - only time will tell" O.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
As for Peyton Place; this one might be served best releasing all at once via Time/Life. But i can definately see Shout! taking a chance on it, if there is enough interest out there. I have no reason to believe there is no interest. So why not, at the very least give it a fair chance by releasing it, and seeing what market you do have for it. Something Shout! seems to be very good at doing with some announcements in recent days. So it sounds like a match made in heaven. I hope it comes out for the fans of the show!, even if i may not have much interest, having never seen it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks