What's new

Shouldn't this take some strain off of my receiver? (1 Viewer)

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I have a Marantz SR7300 (105wx5) pushing B&W 604 mains, 600 center, and 601 rears. I just added a Rotel RB-1050 (70wx2) into the mix...it is now powering my two mains while the Marantz is doing the rest.

I thought that after setting this up, I would notice some level of eased strain on my Marantz, i.e. it would sound louder at lower volumes due to the increase in power to the entire mix.

I'm not sure if I've lost my mind or what, but it seems that I have to turn it up even louder than before to get the same perceived volume.

Any thoughts?

mackie

Supporting Actor
Don't know, but I didn't get the results I was looking for when I added amps to m setup. Problem was that I don't listen to music at reference levels so the benefits were minor. However, when I do turn it up... Good luck. Have you tried calibrating everything with a sound meter?

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
IMO, the only changes you will hear will be at higher volume levels where the Marantz will be able to put more of its power into the center and surrounds. I wouldn't expect any changes at lower levels. The fact that you are going to a lower power source for your mains may make them unable to play as cleanly at louder volumes than they could with the Marantz. Normally when one adds a separate power amp for the mains it is more powerful (at least double for 3dB additional headroom) than what it is replacing. If the Rotel can be set to operate in mono I would use it to drive the center channel. Otherwise for the two surrounds.

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Thanks for the input...

I guess I should have explained why I used a weaker amp...I bought it to power a pair of outdoor speakers, but my deck has yet to be built so I figured I'd use it to power part of my original setup until those outdoors are installed.

I'll be stepping up to either an RMB-1075 or RMB-1095 to power the room in the near future (along with an RSP-1066)so the Marantz will go bye-bye.

I think I understand it now though.

Thanks.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Your speakers have fairly decent sensitivity (90 db) and are a nominal 8 ohms, representing a fairly easy load for most any receiver. Bearing in mind that the loudness at the listening position will increase as you add speakers, it doesn't take a lot of power to reach reference level and then some so long as you're not sitting 25 feet away. While extended, low frequency, bass rich passages can deplete the current reserves in one's amp or receiver, taking your observations at face value, suggests that your present receiver is not having a problem. I assume you're also using a sub (powered) and if so, this further reduces the requirements placed upon your receiver.

Your observations that you now need to crank the dial a little higher in order to get the same perceived volume is easily explainable. For starters it sounds as if you didn't calibrate and also the Rotel is a lower power amp requiring a greater turn of the dial in order to get more power out. Kind of like dropping a 150 hp engine into a car that once had a 250 hp engine. Its entirely possible that even adding a much more powerful amp will not lead to an improvement. My only recommendation is that whatever you buy, you can return for full money back if you're not satisfied.

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright

I'm not sure I can agree with that statement. Every situation I have ever heard where the power was substantially increased (doubled or more) definitely improved the sound. Peak transients can require vastly more power than most people realize. More amp headroom, even if only 3-6 dB, tends to allow the speakers to produce a more lifelike sound with less compression and distortion at realistic volume levels. My own speakers are over 90 dB efficient, and a change from 110wpc to 350wpc made a dramatic difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks