Shouldn't "Bridget Jones's Diary" be "Bridget Jones' Diary"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Isn't it a grammatical faux-pas to have an "'s" hanging off of a word ending with an "s"? I'm sorry .. it's just been bugging me. =)

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I have to agree with you Don. I was always taught not to add that extra 'S'.
    Should we start a petition to change it? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    God bless!
    jeffrey noel
    My DVD Collection

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There prolly not using proper grammer for they're titles. I spose it could be a mistake. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | DVD reviews at dOc
    [Edited last by Jeff Ulmer on November 05, 2001 at 11:56 AM]

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    You add the apostophe after the 's' when the word is plural and you want to make it possessive. For instance, "that is the cats' litterbox" -- when you have several cats in the house. Bridget Jones is a singular, so it would be correct to add the extra 's' to her name since she possesses the diary.

5. Russ Lucas

Russ Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Yes. It is actually correct. Rule 1 in Strunk and White's The Elements of Style (a well-respected English style book) states that to make any singular noun possessive (even one that ends in "s"), you add an apostrophe and "s."
    You may guess that I had reason to find the answer to this question fairly early.

6. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    Correct you are:
    Russ's Rules follow the Lucas's Mantra of adding S's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Rob M.

7. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

I also was always taught that it should not have that
    trailing "s" when the word already ends in one.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

9. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

There are exceptions to "add apostrophe and s." Even the minimalist Strunk & White acknowledge some - for example, ancient proper names [Moses', Jesus'} and some now obscure turns of phrase ("for righteousness' sake").
    Wordier, less hallowed, but still respectable authorities suggest pronunciation as a key. If you would not pronounce the possessive "s" then do not add it. Examples: "Los Angeles' freeways." In truth, many invert such phrases to avoid sibilance ("the freeways of Los Angeles").
    Apparently Helen Fielding follows the S/W short rule, pronounces the second s, or both.
    This is a nice dilemma, because there is reasonable support for either choice.
    [Edited last by Janna S on November 05, 2001 at 03:22 PM]

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

11. mdean

mdean Auditioning

The Chicago Manual of Style agrees, it is correct.
    It rules ... "the general rule covers proper names as well as common [names], including most names of any length ending in sibilants: Burns's poems, Marx's theories, the Rosses' and Williamses' lands, the Joneses' reputation."
    On the other hand, "names of more than one syllable with an unaccented ending pronounced [italics] eez [italics] form ... category of exceptions. Many Greek and hellinized names fit this pattern. For reasons of euphony the possesive [italics] s [italics] is seldom added to such names: Euripides' plays, Demonsthenes' orations, Ramses' tombs, Xerxes' army," etc.
    So, it's Bridget Jones's Diary (she's English); but, it Ramses' tombs (not Greek, but hellenized). [​IMG]
    [Edited last by mdean on November 05, 2001 at 05:07 PM]
    [Edited last by mdean on November 05, 2001 at 05:09 PM]
    [Edited last by mdean on November 05, 2001 at 05:10 PM]
    [Edited last by mdean on November 05, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

12. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Interesting... Who knew? Thanks everyone.

13. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Now let's discuss the serial comma and really make those grammarians work up a lather.

14. JamesMH

JamesMH Stunt Coordinator

I was taught that you can either put the extra 's' or leave it off, they are both correct.
    The same way that grey and gray are both correct.
    The word that bugs me the most is 'gotten' . . . aaghhh!
    People then start to say boughten and other stupid words . . [​IMG]

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Actually "boughten" and the like did used to be "legitimate" words, and simply fell out of style. "Gotten" is a survival of the form, and is quite acceptable if used correctly. There are a number of such words that survive despite related forms having disappeared.
    We still use "therefore" to mean "for this reason" in some contexts and "because" in others, but we no longer use "wherefore" at all, much less in its original meaning of "why?" or "for what reason?" For this reason generations of high school Juliets have peered into the distance searching for their lovers while intoning "Wherefore art thou Romeo?" with the wrong emphasis entirely. They are blissfully unaware that they are supposed to be talking to themselves, meditating on the cruel fate that gave him the name of "Romeo", marking him as a Montague, and therefore Juliet's enemy, as opposed to any other name that would let their love flourish. In other words, "Why did you have to be called Romeo (Montague)?", not "Where are you, Romeo?" The latter question makes no sense since the whole point of the balcony scene is that it begins as her soliliquy and she has no idea that he is watching her until he speaks. But I digress...
    [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Joe

16. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

(oops, double-posted)
    [Edited last by Dana Fillhart on November 05, 2001 at 09:58 PM]

17. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Now, if only we can get people on this forum to use "its" and "it's" properly...I might be able to keep a few hairs left in my head before 40 [​IMG]
    ("Its" is properly used when it's not a contraction, but rather when its form appears as a possesive. "It's" is used when it's necessary to contract "it is", but not when its usage implies possession. Got "it"? [​IMG] )
    ------------------

18. andrew markworthy

According to the Brit style manuals, there is an equally valid case for both sides. The virtue in adding the extra 's' is that it makes everything unambiguous, but you pay the price that it looks clumsy. Personally, I tend to add the extra 's' in writing, but don't pronounce it in speech.

19. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I was always taught never to add 's' I used to do it when I was a kid until my teacher taught me otherwise as my last name is "Sievers" I had to do it a lot.
    ------------------
    -Nick Sievers
    Nick's DVD's
    2001 Film List
    [Edited last by Nick_S on November 06, 2001 at 06:13 AM]

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator