What's new

Should my new player be doing this when switched to progressive output? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Just picked up a new Panasonic F85 changer from Circuit City, and already I have a stupid newbie question. Upon hooking the player up to my parent's Panny 47WX49, still having the player running interlaced, the picture looked fine.

However, as soon as I switched to progressive, the colors became very muted, and the picture got a little too much on the soft side for my tastes.

Am I to assume this is normal, and just tweak away at it until it is up to par (assuming it can be tweaked up to par), or is this something I should be worried about?

SvenS

Second Unit
You are correct that switching from Interlaced to Progressive does require recalibrating you TV. Progressive Scan actually is more of a film-like picture instead of a soft picture, but if you use a smaller Tube based HDTV then I it does appear a bit more soft then Interlaced does but looks much more like film that is seen at theaters. If you don't already have it I would advise you to buy or rent the AVIA:Guide to the home theater DVD to do the calibrations to your TV. You would be surprised how much better it looks after calibration.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Like Sven says, you need to recalibrate the RPTV. The picture should not look softer after calibration.

BTW, did you get this player for its aspect ratio scaling capability since your RPTV locks into Full mode w/ 480p inputs? If so, you will likely be disappointed w/ the scaling PQ. The 4x3 shrink mode should still be useful, but if letterbox scaling was the main selling point for you, then you might want to look elsewhere as I plan to myself -- I'm thoroughly disappointed w/ the S35's scaling on my Panny RPTV.

_Man_

SvenS

Second Unit
That's why a couple of years ago I bought the RP-91. It is the best scaling DVD player out there under $1500! It makes good non-Anamophic DVD's look near Anamorphic and bad one very tolerable to watch on large HDTV's! And the other big plus is the RP-91 let you force the scaling unlike most if not all the other scaling DVD players so when a non-anamorphic DVd is flagged incorrectly your not stuck with a picture that has black bars on all four sides!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks