What's new

Should I use Firefox as my browser? (1 Viewer)

Patrick_L

Second Unit

eh? FF doesn't "overlay" anything. once installed, you import your IE faves to FF, that's it. not too sure what you're friend is on about regarding email, either. it doesn't interact with outlook.

and yes, FF does have a password manager.

forgot to add a couple of extension favorites of mine:

Status Bar Clock
Download Manager Tweak
Gmail Notifier
Weather Fox
Mouse Gestures

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I have a question about Thunderbird, the e-mail program from the same company. In the pane where the messages are listed, the "date" column shows only the time a message was created and does not show the date. Earlier messages (pre-Thunderbird) show both date and time. Is there a setting I can change so that it displays the date, or does it show the time only for messages received "today", but shows the date and time for older messages?

Unfortunately, Thunderbird's "help file" only seems to connect to Thunderbird's home page rather than an internal help file, so I couldn't find an answer to the above question.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steve K.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Well, it looks like I should have waited a minute or two before I asked the above question. It's now a couple minutes past midnight, and the email messages that previously displayed only the time now show date and time. I've never seen it done that way before, but obviously it's not a big deal either way (although it could have been inconvenient if Thunderbird permanently displayed only the time and never displayed the date. Obviously that would make no sense whatsoever, so I guess I should have known that it wouldn't be done that way.

Steve K.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am coming in late here.

I hesitated to go with Firefox for some
time but recently switched over to it nonetheless.

I must tell you that I have become a Firefox
devotee. It is far better than IE and it even
surpasses MYIE2 and MAXTHON.

Firefox has become my default browser and I am
currently using an awesome THEME that I highly
recommend called Noia.

You can get it here

Enjoy and let us know what you think.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
Regarding Noia, there are two versions. Lite and Extreme. On a less than a month old isntall, Extreme kept crashing my pc :

too bad, because i love that theme.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I use Noia Extreme as well (I haven't had any crashes at all) it is the best theme I have tried so far.:emoji_thumbsup:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Using Extreme as well, no crashes to report (3 machines, 1 WinXP Pro SP1, 1 WinXP Pro SP2, 1 laptop XP SP2).

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
Just switched my theme to Noia, to see what all the hype is about, it seems like it was made pretty nicely, I was previously using one called PlastikFox Crystal SVG that is pretty good too.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Is there any reason to use the themes other than cosmetics (i.e. is there any additional functionality derived from them)?

Also, I just thought of something that might be useful the other night, but there's a default FF behaviour that might cause problems. If you have a bookmarks folder, there's an "open in tabs" option that will open all bookmarks in that folder in separate tabs. Is there a way to get this option to keep existing tabs though? The current implementation closes all open tabs first. This would be great for something like HTF, where I could just load all of the sub forums I read in separate tabs with one click.

Patrick_L

Second Unit
i've not run across a theme yet that implements a feature other than being purely cosmetic.

as for as the tabs question, have you searched for an extension along those lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks