What's new

Should I upgrade my DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Jameson

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my current player for about 5 years now, and have experienced very few problems with it. It's a Sony DVP-s550d, and I think the only problem has been the occasional audio/video synch problem.

I'd been using it with a Sharp 27" TV that finally went out on me a few weeks ago. I quickly bought a Sony 30" Widescreen to take it's place. The TV looks incredible, especially when playing DVD's. But since my player is not progressive, I can't help but wonder if it'll look even better with one of the newer progressive players.

So, will upgrading make a noticable difference? Any recommendations for progressive dvd players in the $100-$150 range?

Thanks!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
You can get a pretty nice PS DVD player in that price range. Panasonic makes good players in that range as well as most all the other major manufacturers. I recently bought an upscaling Samsung DVD player that I am really happy with and cost me just a little bit more than 150 bucks. It displays an excellent picture on my 40" RCA HD RPTV. If you are willing to spend just a little more see if you can find a player that upscales as well as has other capabilities such as DVD-A and SACD playback. Others might not agree but the Samsung I bought, a DVD HD841, has all these features and for my purposes at least, was a great find and buy. If you have an HD capable TV you owe it to yourself to buy a DVD player that will take advantage of all the benefits your new TV has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks