What's new

Should I update/upgrade my Yamaha HTR-5890? (1 Viewer)

jpresson24

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Presson
I'm thinking of getting a new receiver that has HDMI and TrueHD sound decoding. I am mostly a movie watcher and occasional music listener and game player. My Blu-Ray player is a PS3, I have a 12" 800W Sub and SVS speakers (5). My HTR-5890 is a very nice and capable receiver but it was made before HDMI and the Blu-Ray HD sound. I'm using the optical in port from my PS3 to my receiver and was wondering if I would see any improvement in surround sound from changing to a more modern receiver like the Yamaha RX-V671 or Denon AVR-1912? Please advise. Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In my experience Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio provide a noticable improvement in sound quality. Not night and day, but noticable. And HDMI just makes things easier to install, setup and operate. Whether it worth the cast of a new receiver is hard to say. But I can't recall anyone ever saying they were disappointed in up-grading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks