What's new

Should I stick with Infocus? (1 Viewer)

Jamal M

Auditioning
I want to get some input on weather or not I should stick with Infocus projectors. I purchased my first one (X1) about 4 years ago and was happy with it until it started the color wheel buzz noise. I called Infocus about the problem and they offered to upgrade me to a refurbished SP4805 for $99 plus my X1. After doing some research on the 4805 I jumped on the offer and I've loved this projector for the past 2 1/2 years. Now it has recently developed the light tunnel issue and I am not a happy camper. I am now considering the the SP 7210 after reading many great things about it but I'm hesitant because of the problems I've experienced with my previous Infocus units. Should I get this projector or consider other brands? I'm looking to stay around the $1-$1200K price range.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you're going 720p you should take a hard look at the Panasonic PT-AX200U for low fan noise, virtual elimination of screen door effect, and image shift that makes installation much easier. By the fall there might also be a rebate that will drop the price below $1200.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Infocus projectors are probably just as reliable as any other. Unfortunately, there are no reliability ratings from Consumer Reports or anyone else on projectors. I upgraded from my X1 to the Mits. HD1000, which I love. It's replacement, the HC1500, has also gotten great reviews and is highly recommended. Are you looking to stay with DLP?

Jamal M

Auditioning
I really don't have a bias towards DLP or LCD. I'm just looking to get the best possible HD PQ for the money. The fan noise on the 4805 doesn't bother me at all so that won't be an issue. Image shift would be great since I already have a screen mounted. That's another reason the 7210 is at the top of my list. I read a post from a guy who mounted his in the same spot he had a 4805 and said it matched up with the screen perfectly.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I've been very happy with my 4805 which will be three years old in July.

However, the "color wheel" noise has started to become problematic lately, and I know that I'll soon need a new projector. *sigh*

I'm going to take a hard look at the new crop of high contrast, low SDE, LCD projectors over the course of the next few months -- although experience tells me that I'm still probably going to end up with another Infocus.

My first projector was LCD-based and I've probably been scarred for life from having to live with the poor contrast and "screen door effect" from that unit. (To be fair, it was a Phillips SV-20i presentation projector which was never designed for Home Theater use.) My second projector was the Infocus X1 (which cost less than half of what I paid for that first projector!) The contrast ratio was *glorious* on the X1; but I could see a (very) occasional "rainbow" due to its slow 2x speed wheel. After a year with that projector I dumped it on my brother (where it's still going strong in his basement) and acquired the 4805 -- which has been perfect up to this point.

The bottom line is that the Infocus solution has provided my family with many hours of enjoyment at a very reasonable price. So I'll probably be staying with them.

lloydMon

Grip
I had a 4805 and liked it, but I would get the Panasonic mentioned above. I have a friend who has one and it's great.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I have the sp5000 and the picture (720p) looks pretty good projected on a 100 inch screen from about 7 feet away. Screendoor effect is noticeable at that size, though, but if your screen is around 85 inches or less it's not going to be a big deal. Plus, it's pretty bright, and I can watch TV with all the lights on. If you can find it, it's a great projector. It's LCD. I just with I could feed it some blu. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks