What's new

Should I move my furniture for a better sub location? (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
My family room is 16 x 20 with the couch on one side of the long wall and my system on the opposite long wall. Right now, I have my sub in the corner to the right of the couch and I can tell where the bass is coming from vs my main speakers. My system is across the room against the opposite wall with openings to other rooms on either side of the system. I can move my system (a major pain)to the couch wall which would allow me to have the sub to the right of the right main speaker rather than beside the couch. I know I could move the sub temporarily to hear the difference without moving any future but the wall with the system has no corner. Any comments? Have any of you moved your sub from beside the sitting position to beside the main speakers? If so, did the sub blend in better? And did you hear a big difference?

GregBe

Second Unit
Hi Ed,

I did the same thing, and it helped quite a bit. I have always read about 80hz and below not being localizable. For me, it wasn't quite the sound of the sub, but I felt the presence of the sub. It was almost a wave that I felt, and always knew it was behind and to the left of me. Now that I have it in front near my speakers, it blends perfectly.

Greg

EdNichols

Second Unit
Greg, It makes sense that it would be that way.

But.....

Chu,
Unless I misread the thread it says to place the sub as close to the listening area as possible? Seems like it would be harder to blend with the mains that way unless you were just looking for bass impact for HT in which case it is not as important.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It says that's one option that can be explored in order to get even response at the listening position. Most opt for something else like a corner position which generally results in the maximum exitation of room modes. After that, it really depends on you and whether you want to use your SPL meter and test tones, often in conjunction with something like a Behringer feedback destroyer to smooth things out a bit more by nudging the sub one way or another. Many wives object to a sub in close proximity to the seating position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks