What's new

Should I move my fronts and Sub? (pic) (1 Viewer)

Anthony Chiu

Agent
Hi, here's a picture of my family room in the basement.
I recently purchased a set of Axiom "Master" speakers.
My fronts are the M3ti's, the center is the VP 100, my surrounds are QS4's, and my Sub is the Axiom EP175.
Yes, I'm very happy.

Here are my questions:

1) Should I lower my fronts (m3ti's) to a height that's closer to screen level?

2) Is the Sub OK where it is? My alternative spot would be in the corner Behind my sofa, to the right of the main seating area.

Here's a pic for you:

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Can't answer as to your speaker placement (I think that's highly subjective and your taste matters more than anyone's "rules"). But I have the same Mitsubishi HDTV and I think it's fantastic! How do you like it?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I would say that your speakers are pretty close to ear level which is right. Infact you may have better luck than some of us with floor standers and a center on top of the tv when it comes to movies panning back and forth. You may not notice it quite so much as yours are on a level height. Can't do much better for a sub placement but alot depends on your room so the best thing you can do is get a long cord and try some different positions if your not satisfied with its output where it currently is.

Anthony Chiu

Agent
The fronts are not ear level when sitting on the sofa. I was thinking that the fronts should be at the same level as the TV. This kinda creates a natural sound that surrounds the screen.

As far as the sub is concerned....The Axiom is a front firing, so I felt that the sound was a bit muffled when I placed it behind the sofa.
My music CD's sound much nicer with the sub at the front theather.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Can you tilt the front speakers down a little bit so it's in a line to your ear (while sitting down)?

I put my center speaker behind my fronts, but you don't have that options since they are mounted on the wall behind your TV.

I also want your HDTV. :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I have my sub at around the same place right now, but i find the intensity is a bit lacking there (i used to have it under a coffee table a foot from where my feet would be when i sat down).

I hear the best way to find a good sub position is to place the sub where you'd normally sit, then move aroudn the room to find where it sounds the best, and thats where the sub should go to sound nice...

Anthony Chiu

Agent
I too, find that the sub has less intensity in it's current position vs it's previous place in the rear corner. However, the clarity is much better. Having the sub in the front, creates a "sound stage". Having the sub in the rear gives very low rumbles and vibration.

So, this is my point.........

Do I want a sub that shakes the house?
Or do I want a sub that enhances the sound theater, by creating more depth at the "sound stage"

Anthony Chiu

Agent
UPDATE......

I lowered the fronts to the top level of the TV.
The first thing I noticed was how the speakers have "disappeared". Prior to moving them, I heard the location of each speaker.
Doing this also allowed the rear port of the Axioms to have about 12" clearance between the speakers and the wall behind them. This definetly enhanced the bass of the M3ti's.

I also ran a HT setup disc, and it made me raise the volume on the sub.

Everything sounds nice

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your right speaker is far too close to the wall. You are going to get serious first reflections, which might make your system right biased, even with calibration.

Bring the center out to the front edge of the TV.

The sub looks like it is in the best location available, given the room setup.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
It stands to reason you sound stage is better if you moved your fronts up kind of next to your center plus gets them away from the wall. Sounds like you've got things pretty well nailed. Good luck and good listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks