Should I go 5.1 or 7.1 in this room? Please help!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by doug zdanivsky, Apr 1, 2006.

1. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I'm building a house..

My rec room will look like this, with a 7.1 system to be arranged thusly:

[​IMG]

The system will be Paradigm Reference, with ADP-450 dipoles for the rears (if I get them), and the surrounds..

The reciever I haven't picked yet..

Suggestions?

As you can see, the rears present a problem.. The one attached to the wetbar will be in the way of any stools I would put there.. The other, I have to extend that bit of wall out just to hang it somewhat properly..

My question is, is it worth the pain in the ass to have a 7.1 set-up in this space, or will a 5.1 be perfectly adequate?

Keeping in mind I want reference sound, not just a run of the mill set-up..

Any opinions, advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I think you've got a great room for 7.1.

If it were me, however, I would use dipoles on the sides and either monopoles or bipoles in the rear for a little more directionality.

3. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

I was wondering about this..

I don't think Paradigm makes bipoles..

I prefer a diffuse soundstage over a more *turning my head to the side and away from the TV * "Wow! There's sound coming from this speaker!"..

Know what I mean?

Though it won't be hard to demo both configurations..

So, you think 7.1 sound will be that much better than 5.1, then?

4. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I concur with Seth. Use direct radiators for the back surrounds. The whole premise behind (no pun intended) these speakers is to create a bit of directionality when you have objects flying overhead from either direction. I have a 7.1 system with all direct radiating speakers and with the help of the auto setup feature on my receiver, I was able to attain an amazingly cohesive soundfield. Just feels like I am in the middle of the action. No real distractions from side to side.

That being said, if you don't want directionality from front to back or vice versa and/or it's too big of a pain to mount the speakers so that they are out of the way, I would just go with 5.1. The effect created by 7.1 is by no means earthshattering.

5. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Well, I could mount them from the ceiling and angle them towards the listening area..

I'll see if there are any such mounts..

6. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I used VMP mounts to mount mine, but they suck. I had to really crank the holding screws down on these things, which are rated at 12 lbs., to get them to hold my 8.8 lb. speakers correctly. Get some Omnimounts. I had a set of these holding some Klipsch RS3IIs to the wall, while I was living over in America and they were rock solid. Omnimounts come in ratings of 10, 20, and 30 lbs. for wall or ceiling.

7. Richard Beckman

Little value added with sixth and seventh channels.

8. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

There is little value in 6th and 7th channels but since I have changed over recently I really enjoy 7.1 and I don't have an ideal set up room but glad I did it. My couch which is the main seating or center seating is only several feet from the back wall with a huge window and heavy drapes behind it. I would not have even thought of doing 7.1 had I not already had the prepro to do it and some matching speakers came my way at a have to buy price. I got short stands to mount the rears facing up behind the couch. They are direct radiators and work great. I have dipoles on the sides. Again even though not optimal I am glad I did it as it gives a bit more expanse of sound in the back. You just have to make sure and calibrate right. I had to bump up the backs an extra notch but again things are good!