What's new

Should I get an A/V receiver or separates? (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
I have the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers.

Do you think I should get the Harman Kardon AVR 8500 (or some other A/V receiver) or the Rotel RMB-1095 + Rotel RSP-1066 combo? I know the Rotel RMB-1095 has a lot more power than the Harman Kardon AVR 8500, but I don't think I'll need it with the Klipsch.

So, will there be a difference (sound quality wise) between the two options?

Heywood

Auditioning
If I could do it all over again AND had the money, I would get seperates. As such, I have a good receiver (Marantz SR8200) but will get external amplification down the road.
A little cleaner and more dynamic sound IMHO.
Heywood

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
My $0.02...

I'd base my decision upon the features and flexibility you need. If separates will provide these things for you, go that route.

If you're thinking about what will sound better... Well... The answer is both and neither. It will depend on your speakers, your room and your brain. You may find that they both sound wonderful (I'll put my money on that). Then, as I said at the outset, it's a matter of features and flexibility.

If the 'sound' is a wash, then consider getting a receiver with pre-outs, for future expansion. You'll have what you need right now, for less $, and room for growth in the future.

HowardGjr

Stunt Coordinator
Harris,

To be honest, I don't know a thing about the Harmon Kardon receiver.

However, I do own an RSP-1066 w/ RMB-1075. While it sounds great, if I had to do it again, I'd go with the RSX-1055 and separate 2 channel amplification for the mains. The RSX-1055 is an RSP-1066 with a tuner and 5x75W of amplification thrown in for good measure. If you combine the RSX-1055 with an nice two channel amp, you get a inexpensive 7 channel system (RSX-1055 powers Surrounds, 2 Backs and center). Given the same budget, your amplification dollars would go alot further buying a two channel amp as opposed to a 5 channel one.

Of course, this approach also lets you "solve" you buy in stages. You can start with "just" the receiver and switch to "offboard amplification" if your not satisifed with the receiver's performance.

Take care.
Howard

RobWil

Supporting Actor
My $0.02...I'd base my decision upon the features and flexibility you need
Oh maaaannnnnn! That's no fun! It's much more fun to be extravagent and reckless! Sheeesh...with that kind of logic you'd come home with the mini-van as opposed to the BMW coupe!

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Go with separates. I have Klipsch all around, and am driving them with the Rotel 1095 (Anthem AVM20 processor), and it sounds terrific.

I have an HK receiver sitting around waiting to be sold; I should have gone with HT separates originally, since I have become as picky with HT sound as I am with music.

BTW, don't go thinking that, just because your Klipsch speakers are very efficient, that they don't need power. That may be true of fully horn-loaded Klipsch Heritage speakers, but my experience with cone woofers is that they absolutely must have plenty of power to bring out all the bass they are capable of producing. I went fromo a 120 wpc Carver to a 185 watt McCormack (and now, the Rotel), and discovered what bass was, even before I brought in a subwoofer.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Great speakers,they can still sound better with mopower.I use a Denon 3803 and Parasound amps,loud and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks