What's new

Should I Buy This Sony Refurb LCD TV? (1 Viewer)

AnnM

Agent
I've looked everywhere for a new 26 inch Sony LCD, but they have been discontinued. I normally do not buy refurb or open box items because I've done it 2-3 times in the past and not been satisfied. But, I really would prefer a Sony over a Toshiba, Samsung or LG. SonyStyle has a refurb unit for $310 plus $25 for a 2 year parts/labor warranty shipped to me with tax for $350. I just wonder if this will be a good unit or if it will have bad pixels or scratches or whatever wrong with it despite Sony's claim that it was checked and reset to manufacturer's specs. Any thoughts about my situation? They only have one unit listed on their website. Model number: KDL-26L5000

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
In store I would consider an open box. Off the web, I dunno. Sony Style isn't bad for service but they charge list price for a lot of items, or at least they did last time I checked them out. But you can probably buy a new one of those sets in Costco or Best Buy for close to Sony Style's refurb price, can't you?

AnnM

Agent
Yeah, I've looked everywhere and at every brand out there in a 26 inch set. Sony decided not to make them this year.

I've looked at Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Panasonic (also nearly impossible to find now), and the off brands from Best Buy, Vizio, and stufff I wouldn't put in the house.

There are some brand new ones for that price range (350-500). I just really prefer Sony. Guess no one here has bought a refurb from SonyStyle??

Last edited by a moderator:

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Does it have some return policy? I totally understand how you feel about wanting the Sony, I am the same way.

Can you purchase it and make sure it doesn't have any bad scratches or dead pixels and return it in 30 days if you are not satisfied or are refurbish items final sale?

The only other option I could find was this on one ebay, it's been used a couple months but not a refurbished item, and has a 7 day return if there's something wrong with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Bravia-KDL-26L5000-26-Television-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ250615121759QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTelevisions?hash=item3a59d3475f

Good luck!

AnnM

Agent
I wish Sony knew how much trouble and time I've wasted on this!

Anyway, if I were to buy from SonyStyle, they have a 30-day return. I imagine I lose shippping both ways. If I weren't so picky, life would be easier for sure. But, alas, I am to a fault.

I've been all over the internet today and called around town. These TVs sold so well, there are none left. Definitely a reason to discontinue it!

Thanks for searching for me, Tim, but I'd rather go with SonyStyle if I don't buy completely new.

There seem to be two other possibilities: LG and Samsung LED/LCD models. The LG is $499 and the Samsung is $549 at Best Buy. I may give up and get one of these.

Anyone have an opinion on these models:
LG 26LE5300
Samsung UN26C4000PD

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My informal experience has been that none of the smaller sets are going to have pretty significant image quality differences between them. If this is going to be your primary set you are going to have to understand that you are the vast minority on this one and that these sets are being marketed as second and third sets for bedrooms/living rooms rather than as main 'theater' rigs. I like Sony and Samsung on the big sets (with Panasonic Sharp and others not far behind) but I'd not be opposed to going slightly off top 'name' brand for a set in this range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks