Should Cable Show more Obscure shows?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JamesSmith, Oct 18, 2011.

1. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Dear Guys: Just a thought. I've noticed that several cable networks show the same programming over and over again. Married With Children has popped up on several channels. Hallmark shows Little House on the Prairie, MASH, and the Waltons over and over again. Again, over and over again. While those programs may be fine, a little bit more variety would be nice. They're already out on DVD, and it would be nice if other family programs from that era could get a chance. It would be nice to see Eight is Enough and other family programming such as Apple's Way, The Family Holvak, and other short lived shows And Aftermash might be a nice "extra" for those fans, who'd like to see a bit more of the MASH crew, but have seen each episode quadrillions of times. Lifetime could show Golden Palace, Julia, The 5 Mrs. Buchanan's, Hot Properties, Committed, etc other programming rather than the Golden Girls and Designing Women over and over again. TBS could show "Unhappily Ever After" for a year or two to just give MWC a break. Any other opinions? Just would like to see more variety than just the same shows over and over again. James

2. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

I agree, but few want to risk the money and would rather go with a proven show or paid programming. Don't think I ever heard of Unhappily Ever After or MWC - oh wait is that Married with Children? I don't understand the over use of acronyms on forums, particularly on non standard things (in other words, not commonly used etc). But I digress, I wish we could see older shows not commonly seen and it would be nice to discover some older shows too.

3. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

You're basically talking about syndication which aims for a minimum of 100 episodes as the magic number. Cable networks normally don't want to consider shows that produced fewer episodes.

4. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

But isn't there an interest or market there for these programs? James

5. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

If there was a market you wouldn't have asked your opening question. If they aren't on DVD or Netflix you're out of luck. Many of the shows you mention did have an aftermarket run but once the episodes ran out the broadcaster moved on to newer castoffs.