What's new

Should books be banned on flights? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Jeez, it's not that bad. You can still bring electronics on most flights, just not on British Airways and flights from Britain. Plus, "airlines we contacted say they will carry plenty of water for passengers who request it." All I needed for my flights to and from Taiwan this year were my iPod, headphones and water.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Naked, bored, and dehydrated - "No, really, Lynda, why HAVEN'T you wanted to get on an airplane in 26 years?"

AjayM

Screenwriter
A friend just got back from a flight that went through Heathrow, they were allowed to buy a book/magazine once they were "inside" the security area, but they would have to provide a receipt for it while boarding the plane.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

That why, when I went to NYC on my vacation last year, I took the train. It wasn't the fastest way to travel, but it was definitely stress-free. And if I ever head to Europe, I'm more likely to take a boat. Cargo ships are now doubling as no-frills ocean liners.

Mary M S

Screenwriter

Here, Here Andrew, I’m having one of those I’m ashamed to be an American moments over some of the footage I’ve seen of American airports contrasted to the ‘unflappable patience’ Christiana Lampoor (Sp?) referred to at Heathrow.

How many times can a human stand in a hour long line with nothing other to do than watch security deny passengers hanging onto any liquid/paste. Pass slowly by barrels brimming with toothpaste, makeup and assorted sundry, then coming abreast of same security be caught on camera saying.... “@###, I can’t even keep my TOOTHPASTE” holding up the passengers behind them waiting their ‘turn’ to play the “I’ll be the One to talk them out of taking my makeup” game.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I'd love to claim that this is all due to the British stiff upper lip, but the reality is that given the usual standard of service in stores, etc in the UK, you get used to queuing and long delays, so this isn't anything very new. On top of which, a couple of decades of dealing with the IRA's little antics has got us attuned to anti-terrorist operations.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"I'll handle this. I'm British. I know how to queue." - Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005 film)

:)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Only one problem: better bring along a separate charger for your iPod for after the flight because usually iPods last about 12-14 hours on non-stop use. :thumbsdown: (This is why I have issues with iPods--no user-replaceable battery means you're at the mercy of the built-in battery in the player.)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
How is this a problem if you don't need to recharge until after the flight? You're allowed to pack this in your luggage, aren't you? Of course, I agree that it sucks if you have a 20 hour flight to somewhere and you need to listen to your iPod for every minute of it.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I was in Toronto all last week for business. Left early Tuesday morning. Came back very late Friday night.

I had heard about the creams/gels/liquids before going to the airport, and had my bathroom stuff in my suit bag, as always.

On the cab, the driver told me that Laptops and cellphones will be an issue too.

So I get there early, Terminal 3, got through the CanJet lineup reasonably quickly, was surprised. The woman who gave me my pass apologized in advance for the security lineups and delays.

I was very early, so I went to Swss Chalet for dinner.

I left Swiss Chalet before 7pm, as my boarding time was 7:45 for an 8:15 flight.

I walked right through security. There was no lineups whatsoever. They didn't check my bag, didn't ask me to open it and power on my laptop like they did when I left Calgary before this whole mess happened. Didn't ask me to show them my cellphone, didn't search through my bag, didn't ask me to take off my shoes.

I walked right through.

Sure this was a domestic flight, but this sure surprised the hell outta me.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but it can't usually discriminate between explosive and harmless liquids.

Also, the clothing idea wouldn't work for the type of explosive at issue here.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Banning books would be pointless, since it's fast & easy for security to flip thru them to make sure there's nothing prohibited in there.

It does suck how bad things have gotten in supposedly free societies. I've pretty much stopped using airlines for this reason, & I know a lot of others who have, too.

If they ban laptops, that will be the final straw. I don't use mine on the plane, but I have to take one with me for business, & I'm not about to put it in checked luggage for it to get damaged or stolen.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
If I'm reading it right, you were traveling within Canada. Canada was and is not a target, as far as I know, so I'm not very surprised that security wasn't too tight.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Freedom and airlines have nothing to do with each other. Air travel is not a public service. Ridiculous as the regulations may seem to some people, they're doing it for a good reason.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
That is not the point - X-rays can detect that. Trust me, the ban is there for an extremely good reason.

And sorry if it inconveniences people that they can't take books, laptops or mp3 players on board. But those who complain about this sort of thing are generally first in the queue to denounce authorities for not doing more when something goes wrong.

We are in a new era where the bad guys are not only unafraid of death but actually embrace it as a guaranteed ticket to paradise. To combat this, security will have to get tough and if that means that some minor hardships have to be endured, then so be it. Unless anyone genuinely thinks that a fair price for being able to take their laptop, makeup, book, or whatever on board is a few thousand dead.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Yes, obviously anyone who disagrees with the latest security measures thinks this.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

To what? To security? I think more measured solutions are better than the current kneejerk reactionary measures. Seeing photos from airports of people pouring all liquids into one big vat such as in this photo:

http://cmsimg.citizen-times.com/apps...xH=600&title=2

doesn't reassure me. Reactionary measures ensure we're one step behind. It's good old fashioned policework & intelligence gathering that will keep us secure - like the work the Brits were doing on this group before the US pushed them into apprehending them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks