What's new

Short-lived and Cancelled TV series on DVD (1 Viewer)

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Tagliente
OTHERWORLD is the other one I remembered with Tony O'Dell as Trace Sterling. Great show, only lasted 8 episodes.

FP62

Grip
Real Name
Frank P. Nolan
I'd love to see "He & She" (the '67-'68 season) and "The Associates" ('79) on DVD.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Legend (with the Crash Test Dummies song intact)
Jake 2.0 (with all of the music intact)
Flash Forward
Peacemakers
Mysterious Ways
John Doe
Time Trax
Homefront (with all of the music intact)
3 lbs.

And are there any other independents out there that may be interested in finishing and giving a proper release to "Beyond Reality"? Mill Creek Entertainment squeezed all twenty, half-hour episodes of Season 1, including strangely, the first two episodes of the second and final season on 2 discs (!) on their The First Season set. It's too bad this underrated USA Network series got such a shoddy treatment from them. I believe they no longer own the distribution rights.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Mortal Kombat- The show lasted 1 season due to the same financial issues that sank the Lost World. Apparently they had a cliffhanger going so you had evil winning.

Bret Maverick - Lasted 1 season but was cancelled due to behind the scenes in-fighting despite the shows decent ratings. Shame because it looked like they were returning to the original format with Jack Kelly returning in the last show and Bret leaving Sweetwater.

When Things Were Rotten - Actually enjoyed this more than Mel Brooks big screen parody of Robin Hood.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The Brady Brides (Short sequel series to the original Brady Bunch, which focused on Jan & Marcia and their husbands sharing a house together. Hardly compelling television, but a worthy follow-up to the classic series and considered by many fans to be a long-lost "sixth season" anyway. Should do okay on dvd, at least to Brady completists).
The Bradys (Another sequel series...preposterous and notoriously bad, but again, should be embraced by those legions of Brady completists. Maybe they could release it along with "Brides" in a single set?)
Central Park West (Ridiculous primetime soap from the creator of "Melrose Place." Considered a bland "Melrose" knock-off in its first (short) season, and then devolved into a camp parody of "Dynasty" in its second season. Boasts Lauren Hutton, Raquel Welch and John Barrowman in its sprawling cast, and also has four unaired episodes which would induce fans to buy!)
The Charmings (Silly, Bewitched-like sitcom that was groan-inducing in its 80s heyday, but nevertheless lived up to its name--it's a charmer. The best thing about it was little-known actress Judy Parfitt playing the hell out of the wicked queen character--a cross between Joan Collins and Cruella DeVil. Also boasts at least one unaired episode and plays well with kids and collectors of camp).
Get Real (Hour-long family drama which Fox intended as a worthy replacement for the then outgoing 90210. It didn't fill 90210's shoes, but it does have popular Anne Hathaway in one of her first and best roles).
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Low-rated but fondly remembered by its fans. Could be a no-brainer for MPI, if they can put out The Mothers-in-Law, they can put out this very well-written classic series).
Hail to the Chief (From the creators of Soap came this whack serial/sitcom concerning the adventures of Patty Duke as the first woman president. It was panned in 1985 because of some incredibly rude, raunchy and racist jokes, most of which fell flat. But if you get drunk when watching its seven short episodes...it's hilarious!)
Life is Wild (Very well-written drama about an American family who works in a game reserve in Africa. The CW should have given the show a chance to grow, and it does indeed deserve a dvd release).
Melrose Place (2009) (Well, first they need to finish the original Melrose Place on dvd (2 more seasons to go) and then they need to get this one out too. It was short-lived, and so frankly most fans of the original consider it to be nothing more than a very long reunion movie).
Nanny & The Professor (Juliet Mills as a sort of mysterious, Mary Poppins-like nanny to three small American children in the early 70s. Again, the writing was better than anything else in its day. Bounced around the ABC schedule a few times before they gave up, but it retains a lot of fans and would probably do well over at MPI or Shout).
The Rousters (Chad Everett as the head of a family of carnival workers. Loaded with homespun humor and car chases, it also has Jim Varney in a sort of proto-Ernest role. A couple of episodes did make it onto home video).
Savannah (Lavishly produced Aaron Spelling soap...some fans think it's the best-written soap he ever did).
Second Noah (Another kids with animals drama. This one had a young James Marsden).
Veritas: The Quest (Classy, Indiana Jones-type adventure series. Suffered on ABC because they cut half the footage out of the pilot, and then cancelled it after only 4 of its 13 episodes had aired).
Three Moons Over Milford (Weird, weird comedy/drama about smalltown doin's after the moon has been blown into three pieces).
When Things Were Rotten (Rumors about this one's dvd possibilities pop up every couple of years...maybe soon, one of those rumors will turn out to be true).

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Bret Maverick has been mentioned on here a few times. I would love to have this and the other spinoff series, Young Maverick, in my collection.

Also would like to have SANFORD, GRADY, and SANFORD ARMS to tie up my SANFORD AND SON collection.

DIRTY SALLY would be a nice add-on to go with the GUNSMOKE material coming out.

********SIDENOTE: In reference to the cancellation of Bret Maverick - it seems that the driving force behind the cancellation was the feeling among some NBC execs at the time that the schedule had too many shows attracting an "old" audience. So while the ratings were pretty decent, apparently not enough of the 'right' viewers were watching. ALSO, you are correct, Ethan Riley, that the show was making changes for season 2. From a book about the original series, season 2 would have had more of Bret out on the road, Bart as the new manager of the Red Ox Salloon with Kate Hanrahan. Supposedly a few scripts were written and shown to Jack Kelly (Bart) to help show that the really wanted him back. But the show was cancelled and all that was for naught.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

Said it before:

Wizards and Warriors
When Things Were Rotten
Domestic Life
Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future
Salvage 1
Jake 2.0
Legend
Far Out Space Nuts
Lost Saucer
Spy Games

James

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
"Salvage 1" is a good choice ... but I cringe every time I see the team "steal" a NASA computer with a 300 baud modem!! This was depicted in the "Salvage the Moon" ep which was the pilot.

As for "Bret Maverick" ... I believe the NBC execs were a little hesitant signing off on the second season partially due to Jack Kelly's "Q" numbers which were significantly below Garner's at that point. In just the first 13 planned episodes for the second season Kelly would have been required to carry 4 episodes on his own. (The plan was for three with both Bret and Bart, six featuring just Bret, and four with Bart in Sweetwater. Speaking of Sweetwater -- and the already established characters located there -- supposedly 8 of the 13 episodes would have featured them. ) Of course, NBC was also hoping that Garner would think about reviving the much more popular "Rockford Files" series if "Bret Maverick" was cancelled. Once again, NBC rolled the dice and they came up snake eyes.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
surprised i never commented on this thread before there are so many short lived and cancelled shows I want to see including:

413 Hope Street (1997) - Jesse L Martin
All About the Andersons (2003) - starred Anthony Anderson
Battery Park (2000)
Brimstone (1998) - starred Lori Petty
Committed (2005) starred Tammy Lynn Michaels
Courthouse (1995) starred Annabeth Gish
DAG (2000) starred Delta Burke
Deadline (2000) - Bebe Neuwirth
Do Not Disturb (2008) starred Jerry O'Connell
Dr Vegas (2004) - starred Rob Lowe
Education of Max Bickford (2001) - starred Katee Sackhoff
Fearing Mind (2000) starred Katee Sackhoff
Freedom (2000) - starred Darius McCrary
The Golden Palace (1992) starred Betty White
Grapevine (2000) - starred George Eads & Kristy Swanson
The Handler (2003) - starred Hill Harper & Anna Belknap
Hot Line (1994) - starred Tanya Roberts
Jake 2.0 (2003) - starred Christopher Gorham
Jenny (1997) - starred Jenny McCarthy
The Jury (2004) - starred Adam Busch
K-Ville (2007) - starred Anthony Anderson
Karen's Song (1987) - starred Teri Hatcher
Killer Instinct (2005) starred Jessica Steen
Love & Money (1999) - starred Brian Van Holt
Lyon's Den (2003) - starred Elizabeth Mitchell
Maggie Winters (1998) - starred Faith Ford
Medical Investigation (2004) starred Anna Belknap
Missing Persons (1993) - starred Jorja Fox
New Amsterdam (2008) starred Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
The Others (2000) - starred Missy Crider
Out Of Practice (2005) - starred Christopher Gorham
Partners (1999) - starred Melissa Sue Anderson
Players (1997) - starred Ice-T
Raising Dad (2001) - Starred Kat Dennings
Rock Me Baby (2003) starred Dan Cortese
Shell Game (1987) - starred Marg Helgenberger
South Beach (2006) - starred Vanessa Williams
Spy Game (1997) starred Linden Ashby
The Strip (1999) - starred Sean Patrick Flannery
That 80s Show (2002) - starred Tammy Lynn Michaels
Tony Danza Show (1997)
Too Something (1995) - starred Portia De Rossi
Trinity (1998) - starred Bobby Cannavale
Trouble With Normal (2000) starred Paget Brewster
UC: Undercover (2001) - starred Vera Farmiga
Vengeance Unlimited (1998) - starred Kathleen York
Viper (1996) - starred Joe Nipote
Women: Stories Of Passion (1997)
Women's Murder Club (2007) - starred Angie Harmon

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by nikkif99uk
surprised i never commented on this thread before there are so many short lived and cancelled shows I want to see including:

Spy Game (1997) starred Linden Ashby

Spy Game!!! You remember that series as well. That's great. For so long, I thought I was the only one who watched that series. I loved the theme song (so sixtish) and there are 4 unaired episodes sitting in some vault somewhere. Bless you, nikki99uk.

I'm not alone. I'm not alone.

James

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Asphalt Jungle (1960 or 61) Ran as a summer replacement I believe. Very noir, gritty, headed by the great Jack Warden, and music by Duke Ellington. Only 13 episodes I believe.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I would love to see a complete series of Cliffhangers! (1979); it only lasted 11 episodes, 10 of which aired in the US while the 11th episode aired overseas.

Darby

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Darby67 said:
I would love to see a complete series of Cliffhangers! (1979); it only lasted 11 episodes, 10 of which aired in the US while the 11th episode aired overseas.

Darby
wapld5.jpg
It's one of the few remaining grail's on my list that's unreleased.

sztlza.jpg

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
That still pisses me off that they didn't air the final episode in my area--I think I was 13 and I was nuts about that show. If I'd known they were keeping the final chapter, I'd have written a very nasty letter to NBC at the time--

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks