What's new

Short-lived and Cancelled TV series on DVD (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
HenryDuBrow said:
"Delvecchio" (1976), two seasons only. Judd Hirsch and Charles Haid made a great team, a decade later they both appeared in "The Great Escape 2".
v5416.gif
There's an episode of "Delvecchio" that appears on the new "Brilliant but Cancelled: Crime Dramas" DVD from Universal that was released this week. But, buyer beware, as a reviewer at Amazon says that it has problems . . .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Two other 70s crime shows 'd love to see on DVD are "Richie Brockelman, Private Eye" (1978) with Dennis Dugan, and "Eischied" (1979) with the great Joe Don Baker. They're Universal and Sony, respectfully.
6553_small.jpg

Susan Nunes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Shows I'd like to see on DVD but doubt they'll be on it:
Me and the Chimp
The Tammy Grimes Show
Turn On
East Side/West Side
Cimarron Strip
My Mother the Car

Jon Baker

Second Unit
HenryDuBrow said:
Two other 70s crime shows 'd love to see on DVD are "Richie Brockelman, Private Eye" (1978) with Dennis Dugan, and "Eischied" (1979) with the great Joe Don Baker. They're Universal and Sony, respectfully.
6553_small.jpg
I'd be all over "Eishied".
I don't see why studios wouldn't release a lot of these short-lived series, especially since any of these entire series could fit on 1 or 2 discs. Plus there wouldn't have to be concern whether or not to release following seasons based on sales.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Yes, it's a good idea, plus they have great actors in them so it'd be pretty much like when releasing movies.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I really enjoyed "Anything but Love" with Jamie Lee Curtis and Richard Lewis. Also, "Tales of the Gold Monkey" would be great as well.

-Keith

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
"Cimarron Strip" (1967-68), underrated western series with Stuart Whitman, CBS, color, just 23 episodes. Paramount, I want it !!!! :)
cast.jpg

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
HenryDuBrow said:
"Cimarron Strip" (1967-68), underrated western series with Stuart Whitman, CBS, color, just 23 episodes. Paramount, I want it !!!! :)
Stuart Whitman Enterprises has the rights to the series and has privately released the series on DVD for a whopping $20 per single episode or $345 for the series (a relative bargain, I guess). See:
http://www.cimarronstrip.com/Cimarro...rip%20DVD.html
It's there if you want it, but "Cimarron Strip" joins "Sky King," another privately released series (at $249 for 72 half-hour episodes) as being one of the most expensive DVD series ever released (based on cost per episode).
http://skyking.com/videos.htm
Even the overpriced releases from A&E Home Video are no match for these private releases (and, no, they're not bootlegs . . . they're just independently produced and distributed outside the "normal" channels).

I didn't think anyone would beat me to posting "Flying High", but I was wrong.

Some titles that quickly come to mind, not really knowing if some might be out yet:

-I would reemphasize "James at 15 (and 16)", "Fantastic Journey", "The Green Hornet", "Quark", "Holmes and Yoyo" and "Man From Atlantis"

-"The Rich Little Show"

-"Tales of the Gold Monkey",

-"Partners in Crime" (Lynda Carter and Loni Anderson),

-"Second Noah",

-"Sunshine" ('70s)

-"The Gun" (I believe one episode in particular had Carrie Fisher, Kirsten Dunst and Wil Wheaton),

-"Delvecchio" ('70s cop show with Judd Hirsch, one episode being the only teaming of William Shatner and Harrison Ford);

-"Bronk" with Jack Palance,

-"M Squad" with Lee Marvin,

-"The Girl From U.N.C.L.E."

-"It's About Time",

-"My Mother the Car",

-"Madhouse Brigade" (an improv show that seems totally forgotten now), the 1985(?)

-"Comedy Break" improv show that featured Jan Hooks before her "SNL" tenure, which featured a lot of sketches about "Plan Nine From Outer Space",

-"Dan August" (the Burt Reynolds series, one episode having both Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams)

-"Get Christie Love!"

-"The New Adventures of Flipper", notably the Jessica Alba episodes,

-"Swans Crossing", the early Sarah Michelle Gellar series

-"Ellery Queen" with Jim Hutton

-"The Barbary Coast" with William Shatner and Doug McClure

-"Suspense Theater"-"Honey West"

-"The Texas Wheelers",

and deviating from the short-lived topic:

-"Riverboat", with Darren McGavin as the captain of the title vessel, the Enterprise, also with Burt Reynolds for one season,

-"Police Woman",

-"The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman",

-and above all "Batman"!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bernard O'Neill said:
-"The Gun" (I believe one episode in particular had Carrie Fisher, Kirsten Dunst and Wil Wheaton),
-"Delvecchio" ('70s cop show with Judd Hirsch, one episode being the only teaming of William Shatner and Harrison Ford);
-"Get Christie Love!"
-"Police Woman"
"The Gun" is available from "Tango Entertainment"
see: http://www.tango-entertainment.com/p...=TE1963&gid=7&
In fact, I've actually seen "The Gun" for just $8 on closeout at Big Lots! and at one time Wal-Mart was carrying it as well . . . it's an easy find from online retailers.
A single episode of "Delvecchio" was just released recently on the "Brilliant but Cancelled: Crime Dramas" compilation from Universal (but not the episode that you're looking for).
The pilot TV-film of "Get Christie Love!" is available from several low budget companies specializing in public domain material.
Season 1 of "Police Woman" was released by Sony in March.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the privately-released DVDs of Sky King and Cimmaron Strip, it doesn't make that much sense to make them so expensive. To get a wider audience, the owners should license the shows to indie labels like MPI, Anchor Bay and Image, so they can be properly remastered, packaged and be given as much extras as possible. With the current steep prices, it's surprising if anyone buys them!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Surprised to see a lot of people mention shows that I thought I was the only one who watched!! A YEAR IN THE LIFE and MY LIFE AND TIMES especially.

To add a couple:

TV 101 - Ran for one season in the late 80's, about a high school TV class. Great show, at least for the time. Starred Matthew LeBlanc (then just known for his ketchup ad) and Teri Polo (of MEET THE PARENTS).

GOING TO CALIFORNIA - A Showtime series from 5 years ago, that lasted one season. Probably one of the best shows to air on TV in the past 10 years. About two guys driving across the country, each episode set in a different city. Like a different movie each week. Had all sorts of major guest stars that would make it sell well (Vince Vaughn guest starred in one, Jaime Pressley, Rosanna Arquette, Bridget Moynahan, and many more). Sony had it as one of the choices in their last TV poll, but I guess no one watched it since it was on Showtime.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
DoubleTrouble (with the twin girls)

The Tim Conway Show

California Dreams (I think this is what it's called, it starred Kristy McNichol's brother.)

The Hudson Brother's Razzle Dazzle Show

Derek K.

Stunt Coordinator
Jon Martin said:
Surprised to see a lot of people mention shows that I thought I was the only one who watched!! A YEAR IN THE LIFE and MY LIFE AND TIMES especially.
To add a couple:
TV 101 - Ran for one season in the late 80's, about a high school TV class. Great show, at least for the time. Starred Matthew LeBlanc (then just known for his ketchup ad) and Teri Polo (of MEET THE PARENTS).
GOING TO CALIFORNIA - A Showtime series from 5 years ago, that lasted one season. Probably one of the best shows to air on TV in the past 10 years. About two guys driving across the country, each episode set in a different city. Like a different movie each week. Had all sorts of major guest stars that would make it sell well (Vince Vaughn guest starred in one, Jaime Pressley, Rosanna Arquette, Bridget Moynahan, and many more). Sony had it as one of the choices in their last TV poll, but I guess no one watched it since it was on Showtime.
A YEAR IN THE LIFE.
One of the best short lived shows ever!
Great cast, great writing.

Susan Nunes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Bob Hug said:
Stuart Whitman Enterprises has the rights to the series and has privately released the series on DVD for a whopping $20 per single episode or $345 for the series (a relative bargain, I guess). See:
http://www.cimarronstrip.com/Cimarro...rip%20DVD.html
It's there if you want it, but "Cimarron Strip" joins "Sky King," another privately released series (at $249 for 72 half-hour episodes) as being one of the most expensive DVD series ever released (based on cost per episode).
http://skyking.com/videos.htm
Even the overpriced releases from A&E Home Video are no match for these private releases (and, no, they're not bootlegs . . . they're just independently produced and distributed outside the "normal" channels).
Yep, I did a web search not long after I posted that about Cimarron Strip. The price is absolutely ridiculous, and I let Whitman's more or less official website know that the price was unaffordable.
I could handle $100 or $120 for the complete series, which is still high, but I could afford it.
The current price is almost as bad as Image's Twilight Zone ripoff volumes taken together.
The thing is, I am sure Whitman could probably get the show released through an indie company rather than through an outfit which caters to independent filmmakers and charges through the nose for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks