What's new

Shopping DVR/HDD - Pioneer 420/520 vs. Tosh XS32 vs. Pana 85 vs. ? (1 Viewer)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Well, I've had the 520 for almost a week now but didn't get to try it out until the weekend. I taped, er, copied to the HD something from TV. Editing it was a cinch, and burned it onto 2 DVDs with no problems.

I need to try copying something from VHS next to see if I get the dreaded "blackout" bug.

One thing that concerns me: the unit has a very detectable hum from the hard drive and/or the fan. I can feel the vibration in the center of the unit. The hum/vibration remain there all the time the unit's on. It's not unbearable or anything like that but I can hear it faintly, when the TV's off, from maybe 5-6 feet away, and maybe 1-2 feet away when the TV's on. If I'm sitting across the room from it and the room's quiet, I can't really hear it but I can detect a difference when I power the unit on or off via the remote.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is normal or if it means I have a defective unit. I have one more week to decide (Vanns only allows returns for defective items, within 15 days) and I don't want to bother returning it unless I know it's defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks