What's new

Shogun coming to DVD?!?! (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for confirming, Aaron. Other than being set in Asia, I never thought the books were designed to be a "series". After all, being set in different countries several centuries apart is a good clue that different characters are involved! :D
Thanks again for the information.
Steve K.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Gai-jin wasn't bad, but if I was to choose a second to Shogun, it would have to be Tai-pan! What a vivid, wonderful character Dunross was.. Top shelf!

I'd be in even higher spirits at this news if I'd not shelled out for the VHS series 2 years ago after losing hope of a DVD release.. Oh well. I can't wait!!!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about Tai Pan for a minute, was this ever filmed as a min series ? I am not sure, can anybody fill me in on this ?
Thanks
:D

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Yes, it was made into a movie, but I've never seen it. Some say it's crap, others say it's great.. I don't see how it could be as good as the book.. But Shogun did well in that regard, so you never know.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not yet. I keep scanning Paramount's media information for news, cover art, anything about this (my wife and her mom would kill me if I let anyone else break the news first! :D ). As of yesterday I still saw the same thing: componant art for the VHS, along with the finished VHS box (the one that's been in use for a while) which may or may not be used again for the DVD. I'll be happy to post the VHS art tonight if you want, but I have no guarantees that it's what the DVD will look like.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Oscar,

Taipan was made into a regular 2 hour movie that I believe starred Brian Brown and Joan Chen. If I remember correctly, it was OK, but way too truncated to fit in all the events in the book. Should have been a mini-series.

By the way, I agree that after Shogun this is Clavell's best book. Very entertaining.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Brent
I may have seen the movie but was disappointed because as you rightly point out too much stuff was cut out.
cheers
:emoji_thumbsup:

FredK

Second Unit
From what I can tell we still just have the initial confirmation that it's being worked on. Anything new?

This is great news, and starts a horrible wait! This is an outstanding book (though my favorite Clavell is Noble House, moves much faster than his other works), and I've never seen the series (though a few have offered for me to borrow it, why not see it for the 1st time on DVD). I'll buy this one blind.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Interest in SHOGUN wil get a boost from WB's theatrical release of THE LAST SAMURAI starting Tom Cruise in December. A teaser trailer for this film will run with MATRIX RELOADED. Perhaps this is the reason for this DVD being released earlier than hoped:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Patience. I doubt strongly it would be available before summer is over. On the other hand, I strongly doubt you'll have to wait all the way to Christmas, either...although it's possible, since they ARE restoring what Martin Blythe has characterized as damaged materials. Have faith; they are working on it.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The 2003 release of "The Winds of War" which is refered to in a quote from Dan Curtis taken from a Question and Answer session posted at the MPI Home Video site, and in a promo at the end of the behind the scenes documentary on the extras disc of the"War and Remembrance" Final Chapter DVD set.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
And let us not forget James Clavell's THe Last Valley.
This may still be available from Anchor Bay.
Best
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks