What's new

Shogun coming to DVD?!?! (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Martin

wow thanks for the good news indeed. You have just made my weekend even better than it already is.

any idea when Shogun will be released

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
As I've never seen it, I must ask. Has Mifune-san been horrifically dubbed like he was in Midway?

I wanted to hunt down that horrible "actor" for destroying his performance

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but if memory serves, he spoke his native Japanese throughout.
Yep. All the Japanese speak the native language, except for those who are able to speak English per the novel.
Me waits with credit card in hand. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks a terrible lot, Martin!
Now where do I sign up for those pre-orders...? :)
Cees

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Hokey Smokes! What a coinkydink, I just started reading the novel two weeks ago (on page 260 out of approximately 3,663,289). Never saw the mini-series but now I can't wait to see this translated on the screen (provided that I enjoy the rest of the story, but so far so nice!).

I'll watch anything with Toshiro Mifune in it -- even 1941...

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Matthew, you're in for a treat: the Shogun mini-series is a great adaptation of the novel, sticking very close to it both in plot and in tone. I'd recommend this one highly to those who've never seen it.
I have the problem that re-reading the novel makes me want to watch the mini-series... and watching the mini-series makes me want to re-read the novel. :)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Matthew
when you are done reading Shogun by James Clavell, try to read other books by him, such as Gajin, masterwork
:emoji_thumbsup:

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Martin,I had no intention of calling you a flat out liar!:frowning: Im sorry if it came off that way,I tried to word my post to suggest that you witheld information for cautions sake.For example,fear of hurting your career,limitations put on you by your superiors ect. I wasnt trying to speak ill of you ,in fact I made it clear that you have been a great source to this forums members.Please reread my post,I never called you a liar,I merely attributed your handling of inside info to circumstances beyond your control.
thanks,
Luis S

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
My first Japanese lessons were watching this series way back when. . .I'm all over the DVD like white on rice!!!

SUGOIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I too remember Mr. Blythe telling us that the Lucy materials were in such bad shape that he didn't expect any near future release. Getting them anyway was just a pleasant surprise!!!

Lucy, tadai-maaaaa!!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Luis, if its any comfort: what you described is how I interpreted your remarks.
Let's all be happy! Good stuff is coming to DVD!!! :)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Thanks David,I dont apologize for what I said,Im just sorry Martin took it that way.I thought I made my feelings pretty clear,oh well. Hopefully he'll understand. If not? Thats life, and Shogun will still be coming to dvd :D :emoji_thumbsup:
Luis S
P.s. Martin please feel free to email me so we can clear this matter up.I dont want any hard feelings between us :)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Only SLIGHTLY off topic, but I have a question about the series of books by James Clavell. I know that the entire series of books is set in various countries in Asia, and covers several hundred years. But I get the impression that each book stands by itself, and that it is not necessary to read them all or read them in any particular sequence. Is this correct, or is it better to read them in chronological order (by what time period the book covers, not necessarily the order in which they were written)?

Just curious. Thanks for any replies.

Steve K.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
They are all standalone books. I always planned to read them in chronological order, but I just haven't gotten around to reading the second book yet!!! :)
Anyone else have all the board and card games of the books? :) (Board games of Shogun (not the big MB game), Tai Pan, Noble House, and Whirlwind, and card game of Shogun.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks