What's new

Shogun coming to DVD?!?! (1 Viewer)

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Hey gang check this out,read it over at dvdtalk:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actor Richard Chamberlain, who starred in the five-hour, 12-part "Shogun" mini-series in 1980, may be taping footage at the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa for a planned DVD release of the show later this year. Negotiations are under way with the Ihilani, the hotel featured in "Blue Crush," as a backdrop for planned interviews with Chamberlain for the DVD package.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think they meant to say 5 part 12 hour "Shogun" mini-series. Great news if this at all true!!!

Luis S

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow this is awesome news indeed, let's hope he does a full lenght commentary as well. A must buy really and let's hope that he also does something for Thornbirds as well
Thanks for the heads up
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I find this a bit hard to believe because Mr Blythe has been quoted as saying the elements for this mini-series were in "terrible" shape & not to look for a DVD release any time soon. He also said if you want the mini-series, buy the VHS tapes. :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I remember that. I was the guy he said it to. My wife wants this sucker BAAAAD!
However, Martin also once upon a time basically said the same thing to us about I Love Lucy. And ILL Volumes 5 & 6 just got announced for a 4/1 release date! :)
Things change. "Never say never". We've avoided the overpriced VHS release of Shogun, and perhaps our patience will be rewarded. If not in this region, then perhaps in another?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I remember that. I was the guy he said it to. My wife wants this sucker BAAAAD!

However, Martin also once upon a time basically said the same thing to us about I Love Lucy. And ILL Volumes 5 & 6 just got announced for a 4/1 release date!

Things change. "Never say never". We've avoided the overpriced VHS release of Shogun, and perhaps our patience will be rewarded. If not in this region, then perhaps in another
I want it as badly as your wife does David. Perhaps Mr Blythe would honor us with a more detailed update on the condition of this mini-series.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Mr. Blythe is a great resource to us on this forum. He has given us countless bits of valuble info on upcoming releases. HOWEVER unlike some other studio officials that post here,I belive Martin has greater restrictions on what he can divulge. If you notice he can seldom give an definate answer,or the answer he gives later proves false. As much as he would like to give us all the dirt on this,Indy and other favs we want on dvd,Paramount probably makes it very clear to him that he cant. Like I said GREAT guy,and incredible member to have on this forum,but for the most part his hands are probably tied. As much as I would like to dish the dirt on something like this,I probably wouldnt if it could cost me my job. So till we get an official confirmation this will at least give us hope. :D
Now we wait and see...
Luis S

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I think the market for the title may have been successfully communicated enough to get the cash to fix them up

HOWEVER do not hold your breath until Mr. Blythe says something or we see a press release

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think Gord at TVShowsOnDVD must have talked to someone at Paramount today, possibly even Martin. Check the news at the site! :D :D :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
IMDB lists it at 10 60min episodes, so that would be around 500 minutes once you take out time for commercials

Eric T

Second Unit
Count me in for an immediate purchase if it is released. I've read the book several times and loved the miniseries - been a big fan of John Rhys-Davies ever since. Let's hope this turns out to be true...

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Ch-ching! That's the sound of a future sale being made. :)
Thanks for the pointer to the news on the TVShowsOnDVD site, David: I'm glad to know Paramount's going forward with this one.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
I gave Gord the news that we're working on it, but no specs, so don't assume anything about the specs just yet. I do take exception to Luis' comment that I have lied in the past. And my hands are not tied especially. My caution has more to do with the fact that things change, so why should I lock myself into something that may change? I have never lied on this forum.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, Martin.
And my wife, Stephanie, thanks you. Her mom, too. You are their A-number-one hero right now! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks