What's new

"Shock Treatment" (1981) coming to R1 DVD (1 Viewer)

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Hi all...

Just thought i'd let you all know...

A friend of mine actually recorded a commentary track for an upcoming R1 release of Shock Treatment. He told me to keep the info a secret, but since it's been posted elsewhere, I guess the cat's out of the bag! No release date as of yet (my guess would be Fall), but if the specs are the same as the upcoming UK release, it should be 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, 2.0 stereo, with a trailer.

Here's links to info on the DVD...

UK Release:
http://www.dentonaffair.org.uk
http://www.timewarp.org.uk/shocktreatment
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...s-edition.html

US Release:
http://www.rockynews.org/articles/2006/05/09

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The movies not very good, but I'll probably grab it for completions sake with "Rocky Horror".

Thanks for the heads up.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
A lot of people (and i do know quite a few) would agree with you. I, however, think the film has it merits...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Cool! Maybe I'm just misinterpreting the wording, but it looks like this might only be released as part of a box set with RHPS.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I doubt I'll double-dip for RHPS. The 25th Anniversary is great as it is, but I wouldn't mind picking up a solo Shock Treatment DVD. I'll hold out for RHPS/ST on blu-ray.

- Colton

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Love the songs in this film. It would be nice if they could dig up the behind-the-scenes special (I believe it was about Shock Treatment as well as the Rocky Horror phenomenon) from the period. Well, at least we'll get a commentary by a couple of knowledgable fans, and in this case, I'll take such a thing. I've noted a lot of affection and attention to detail in the Rocky Horror fan community, and there are some very informed people out there.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If Fox treats this how they are in R2 where you can only buy it packaged with Rocky Horror, count me out. I bought the two-disc Rocky Horror for $30 weeks before it came out (that's how eager I was), but I'm not throwing down another $30 for it just so I can get Shock Treatment.

If Fox makes it available as a stand-alone, I'm game.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Derek, the behind the scenes documentary you remember was titled "The Rocky Horror Treatment". I had taped it off USA Network's Night Flight back in the mid 80's.
And I agree that ST should be offered as a stand-alone title. However, I'll probably double-dip if I have to, just to get rid of my fuzzy ST VHS tape.
It's a bad movie but it reminds me of my high school days.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Bradley, that's it. I've heard the title, but I've actually never seen the thing. I've seen some footage of Richard O'Brien in front of the TV wall from Shock Treatment that I assumed was from this special, though. I'm interested to hear that it ran on Night Flight though. Dammit, why wasn't I old enough to appreciate that show! I swear it was gone before I hit puberty. You wouldn't still have that tape, would you? :)

I'm only speculating here, but if Fox is adding the fan commentary to their US release, I don't see why they would do a box-set-only package. But since I was lucky enough to receive the original Rocky Horror 2-discer as a freebie while writing an article, I wouldn't complain about having to actually pay for it to get Shock Treatment.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
There's been an update:

Hot on the heels of the UK DVD that was released in May, Fox Home Entertainment has announced a Region 1 (North America) special edition DVD of Shock Treatment. The release date is September 5th with an MSRP of $19.98. A box set with RHPS will also be available on the same date for $29.99. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with both English Dolby Digital 5.1 and Mono tracks. Extras will include a commentary by ST Fan Club Presidents "Mad Man" Mike Ellenbogen & Bill Brennan, a Making Of Retrospective featurette, a Music Retrospective featurette, a theatrical trailer, and an international trailer. Amazon.com already has both the single disc edition and the box set available for pre-order.

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
For those who are anxious to see what the transfer looks like, you'll get a peek this Saturday night when The Fox Movie Channel airs Shock Treatment (letterboxed!) at 8pm, the first time the movie has ever appeared on American television.
I can't wait to pick up the DVD for the audio commentary. It was a troubled production from what I understand and I hope that our "hosts" shed more light on that during the course of the commentary.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good news! I haven't bought Rocky Horror yet.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Well, I've seen Shock Treatment on Fox Movie Channel before, so that technically wouldn't be true... If only I STILL had Fox Movie Channel to see it letterboxed!

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Not to mention there were a few showings (albeit edited) on the Sci-Fi Channel in the late '90s... Although this is definitely the first time it has appeared in Widescreen on American television.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Although not nearly as good as its predecessor, SHOCK TREATMENT taken on it's own certainly has enough merit to recommend it to fans of outré cinema. The songs are catchy and it's always great to see Jessica Harper and Dame Edna, sans drag. It also features Rik Mayall of The Young Ones. Yes, it's campy. Yes, the humor is a little forced. However, it's never dull. I can't wait.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The review mentions a few pet peeves I have with this new DVD.

The biggest disappointment is emblematic of many movies of the '70's on DVD: the exit music has been cut off the end of the movie. On original prints of SHOCK TREATMENT, an alternate mix of the song "Shock Treatment" continues to play over black screen after the last credit has played, followed by the MPAA card. On this disc, apparently, the music has been tweaked in that the instrumental "Denton" overture is replaced by an "in media res" performance of the "Shock Treatment" remix, which is still clumsily faded out as soon as the credits finish. This is similar to MGM's disc of THE APPLE, which cuts out and omits the exit music reprise of the title song.

I'm dismayed as well over the missing "The Rocky Horror Treatment" special. Unless it was just a glorified clip reel, it would have been a nice piece of archival footage to depict the excitement of this new project at the time.

Meanwhile, I am still left confused about the oft-mentioned "alternate credits" that were promised in the UK DVD but not remarked on in any of the reviews. Was this just a mistake on the part of the press release, are the credits the same in all English-language versions?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I just watched Shock Treatment for the very first time ever and.....well.....some of the songs were ok but all in all I have to say that I did not enjoy the ride, it was directionless and lacked any of the innocent decadent fun that Rocky Horror had going for it....sorry to fans but I now understand why it hasn't received much exposure over the years.

I really wanted to like it too.

The DVD on the other hand was quite good as far as the transfer goes, aside from a few instances of flicker (probably due to the florescent lighting throughout the film) the transfer is very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks