What's new

She's Worthy (Dork Alert) (1 Viewer)

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
I just dig the name of this forum -- after hours lounge. So to keep w/ the vibe of chillin' conversations...

Ever date a girl (or guy) that became worthy of being introduced to some of your favorite films? And then after repeat viewings, they became both of your favorite movies?

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Interesting question and in fact yes, to a degree. When my wife and I were dating I took her to see the Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" during its initial run at the Senator Theater in Baltimore, a stately grand old theater...I was already a huge TH fan and knew more or less what was coming - we have both been huge fans of this film ever since.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Yep. When I met my wife in 1983, she hadn't seen Animal House because it was in her words, juvenile, and she didn't like those kinds of movies. Every time I tried to get her to see it, she said she had seen Porkys, which was terrible in her opinion, and I tried to explain to her that the two were in completely different classes.

Finally, in 1984 (yes, it took me almost a year to get her to see it) Animal House was playing on classics night in a theater at college and I told her that if we're going to stay together, she's going to have to see at least some juvenile movies with me, because I can't always watch the high brow movies she always tried to get us to see....So she gave in, and loved it. We watch it together every couple of years, and last year we saw it on the big screen for a 30th anniversary showing.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I dated a woman once that got me into Kevin Smith. I think it was Chasing Amy. That was many years ago. The lady and i parted ways, but Kevin Smith films rule!
I am married now, and i got my wife into horror movies. Showed her The Decent. Its a movie she would never of seeked out on her own, but she loves it.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
For the most part my wife and I are like two ships passing in the night when it comes to movies. She mostly likes what I think are conventional, predictable light movies. So I was as shocked as anyone else when I was watching "Fight Club" and she started watching it with me, and then surprised when she couldn't stop talking about it for the next few weeks until we watched it again!

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Bob - we are one in the same.
I did pull the coolest first date though and take my wife out to see The House of Wax in Non-James-Cameron 3D (not when it originally came out but at the Film Forum in NYC)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
My experience has been the opposite - dumping women (at least in part) because I discovered they violently hated some movie or book or entire genre that meant a lot to me. Opposites can attract and variety is the spice of life and all that, but I think in certain fundamental areas a couple really has to agree if they're going to have a future. And if a woman snorts in derision at either 2001 or Star Wars, she just isn't for me.

(Of course, this could help explain why I'm still single...)

Regards,

Joe

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's not unreasonable to expect someone to respect your interests, even though she may not share them.

At one time I thought it important the other person have the exact same tastes, but I think that may get boring and predictable. As long as she likes the same general activities I think that's fine. The key part is openness and respect if it's ultimately not something that interests her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks