What's new

Sherlock Holmes (1 Viewer)

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I see on Amazon.com that the Sherlock Holmes Collection, starring Jeremy Brett, is out on Blu-ray in Spain. Has anyone heard how they look, and if there are any near-term plans for a U.S. release?---------------

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Mill Creek Entertainment has the TV Series, along with several assorted sets, you can get them from the Big River.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Regulus said:
Mill Creek Entertainment has the TV Series, along with several assorted sets, you can get them from the Big River.
I think you're thinking of the 1950s series, not the 1980s series.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
OMG, the Jeremy Brett Holmes on blu-ray. :D Considering the source material, would blu do this series any good? Our current DVDs don't look that great.

This would even excite my wife and she's not into HT.

After looking at the blu-ray on Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon, they are not the vendor), it says region A which is North America, right? I also see it says "Colleccion Completa", which I presume means the complete series. However, the details don't really specify everything.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Considering the source material, would blu do this series any good? Our current DVDs don't look that great.
This is my main concern. A lot of the DVDs don't look too great, and I wonder if the episodes have been remastered for Blu-ray.---------------

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Were they filmed or taped?

The early seasons of Poirot looked very brown and stodgy on DVD, but Acorn has done wonders with them on Blu-ray. They're often breathtaking and look nothing like the DVDs.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ScottHM said:
This is my main concern. A lot of the DVDs don't look too great, and I wonder if the episodes have been remastered for Blu-ray.---------------
You guys must be talking about the original DVDs not looking too great. I thought the original releases were horrible. There was even severe damage on "The Naval Treaty" that made it unwatchable to the point that I preferred my VHS version.

However, I think the ITV Region 2 release of Sherlock Holmes - The Complete Collection looks quite good. All episodes were remastered for that set. The Region 1 Set from MPI is probably a port of the region 2 set. I would not be surprised if the Blu-ray set is comprised of the masters for these DVD sets. The episodes look quite good on DVD. I think some DNR was used to de-grain the picture a bit, but over-all, they look and sound quite good. Even though I am a big fan of the series, I doubt I'll upgrade as I am quite pleased with the DVDs. The region 2 set has a great price now.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
You guys must be talking about the original DVDs not looking too great.
Yes, those are the ones I have, and they could stand improvement. In this day and age though, if I'm going to upgrade it will be to Blu-ray and not more DVDs. I'm not real keen on purchasing imports though, which is why I was wondering if there has been any word on a U.S. release on Blu-ray.---------------

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
After reading some of that thread linked to it would appear that the Spanish release is at least a significant improvement over the original release on DVD, which is what I have. A quick conversion would indicate that the set costs about $63 (not counting shipping), a good price.

I guess I'm with Scott in that I'm not keen on buying a non-english import. What would that be like? Are there extras only in Spanish? Menus? Any forced subtitles in Spanish or other language? Any issues that would prevent the set playing back on my Oppo 93?

When one considers that the complete set on DVD is going for over $100 on Amazon, this Spanish set looks like a real deal, but....?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bump. I'm still very curious about any answers anyone might have to my questions in post 10. This is a blu-ray that has my wife interested and that doesn't happen often.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks