What's new

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Neil Middlemiss: Downey Jr's interpretation of Holmes is offensive. A slur. I restrain myself from responding any further.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
Against who? It's only a movie. I realize the movie and all involved have committed the cardinal sin of daring to modernize a character that you like but saying that Downey's take on the character is a "slur" is internet hyperbole at its finest.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Richard--W said:
Neil Middlemiss: Downey Jr's interpretation of Holmes is offensive. A slur. I restrain myself from responding any further.
:laugh: What? Oh, you weren't joking. :(

42nd Street Freak

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
The new 'Hammer' films should have made this. They're a name/legacy leeching con job too with nothing to do with their namesake either. This action man attitude to a man of intellect was best summed up by one comment I heard..."needed more sleuthing". Sherlock Holmes movie...needs more sleuthing! Sleuthing is WHAT he does. What he IS. Trailers killed both these for me. Fed up with dumbing down Holmes! He could shoot and was a good boxer, but he almost never used these things and when he did it was fleeting. They may be great fun films, I don't know and I won't judge the quality of them at all as I have not seen them, but they are not Sherlock Holmes films. Despite a couple of 'action' aspects if you want a modern (also in time in this case) version of Holmes watch the generally excellent BBC show (series 2 on now) "Sherlock". And if you want period Holmes done right...See the Brett series (despite his health hurting the final series). If you want a more 'exciting' Holmes without the dark edges, but one that keeps that essential abrasive, relationship stunted aspect of the character, watch the Rathbone movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks