Shenmue..The next part of the series (Part III)...movie only?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

There was a recent interview with Yu Suzuki after the announcement of his AIAS award win (Congratulations Yu Suzuki!). In the interview Yu discusses the future of the Shenmue series.

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I don't like it. If they aren't going to finish the series, he should just put it to rest. I'm not going to pay to watch the movie. Without any gameplay, the story means nothing to me.

Of course I don't blame them for pulling the plug, they've lost well over $50,000,000 on the series if my guess is anywhere near accurate.

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

To tell the truth, the first game was mostly a movie anyway. Making it CGI-only would mean you don't have to waste time doing nothing and the visuals would look better.

Unless they make it like the games and the movie is 50+ hours long.

4. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Dag. I just picked up Shenmue 2 a week ago for XBOX, and will get to it once I'm finished with Resident Evil 0.

I was hoping for another sequel, but figured that would be a long shot. I don't know that I'd pay to see the story resolved in a movie. In any event, I'm glad I had the opportunity to play these 2.

5. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I'm surprised Sega hasn't looked into releasing Shenmue II for PS2 in Japan. Maybe they have and their agreement with MS won't let them but I would have to think that MS doesn't seem to be putting much effort into the marketing the X-Box in Japan and therefore wouldn't care. Shenmue had a decent following for a DC game in Japan so wouldn't it make sense to release it for a console with a much larger user base in that country?

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I had a friend a year ago (who moved) who was a die-hard Sega fanboy. He mentioned that Shenmue was part of a long saga that would be told over the course of several games.

My question is, how many chapters were covered in Shenmue 2 and how many would be covered in 3 if it were a movie?

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3 chapters were covered in Shenmue 2. Hong Kong, Kowloon and umm, I forget the name of the small town [​IMG]
    There were originally 11 chapters, so with the 2 chapters in Shenmue 1 that would make 6 to cover

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Leave it up to the "PlayStation Generation" to completely let one of the greatest gaming experiences of all time fade away, while Lara and her gigantic tits will sell another 2+million copies of her next game. I hate to say it but I pray for a crash now.

9. John Kilroy

John Kilroy Stunt Coordinator

Kelley_B,

Amen.

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Jeff-

I thought Shenmue I only covered 1 chapter? Hmm...oh well, I trust your memory over mine with this subject.

Kelley-

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I forgot the QTEs. I liked them, but there weren't enough in I.

When I get an X-Box, I'll most likely end up getting Shenmue II.

15. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

by then morgan it should be $9.99 at wal-mart

16. Jeff Kleist

I'll definately be buying the XB version, if for nothing else than to show my support for the series

But I'll play my DC version with good acting, screw 5.1 and higher res, how about my sanity?

17. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I've always liked the "bad" voice acting, it makes the game a lot more amusing. I haven't decided yet, but I think Ryo is either an android, or a kid with Down's Syndrome trying to make it on his own. There's nothing better than his classic

Besides, who else would stare at a trash can for an hour while constantly screaming "Would you like to try a game of Lucky Hit?" ?

I'll be very dissapointed if the voice acting in Shenmue 3 isn't in the same style as the first two.

18. Jeff Kleist

James, you haven't heard the Japanese dialogue, therefore you can't make a judgement. It's not supposed to be funny.

Another reason why dubbing is wrong, the bad actors they get just lead to changing the tones of the scene

19. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Yes I can make a judgement. What are you going to do? Post a message here saying my opinion is invalid?

I don't really care what the "tone" of a scene was supposed to be. Ryo generally has acted as if he has brain damage in the first two games, so why shouldn't the voice acting mirror that, while giving me a good laugh in the process?

The voice acting isn't responsible for Ryo going up to a random person he doesn't know and beginning a conversation with:

"About those sailors....."

No matter how well it's acted, the situation is simply absurd. Do you want the game to be not dubbed so you'll get to hear him ask about the sailors with feeling ? Considering how goofy most of the characters are, the voice acting matches perfectly.

20. Jeff Kleist