What's new

Shazam (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It's a real joy to see this again. I think the video quality is very good considering the age of the show. I'd rate it a bit better than the Isis set from BCI. Audio is a little worse, but is average.
By the way I got burned, not pressed discs(my package arrived on Friday 3 days after the release day, and it was also a pre-order).
So I'm a little bummed about that.
I'm so glad WB decided to release this, and can't thank them enough for doing so.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
It's a real joy to see this again. I think the video quality is very good considering the age of the show. I'd rate it a bit better than the Isis set from BCI. Audio is a little worse, but is average.
I guess the better video quality would be down to the fact the Shazam! masters (thankfully) still existed in their native 16mm, while the others were destroyed after being converted to PAL video in the early 1990s. Telecine transfer technology has come a long way since then.
By the way I got burned, not pressed discs(my package arrived on Friday 3 days after the release day, and it was also a pre-order).
So I'm a little bummed about that.
I'm so glad WB decided to release this, and can't thank them enough for doing so.
Wow! Really?? That really seems bizarre! I can't believe they'd have sold out of pressed media that quick. Surely, if there were that many pre-orders, they'd have upped the quantity on the pressed version. I think I'll fire off an email to my contact at WB and see if he can confirm whether the pressed ones are sold out or not (thankfully, the set they sent me was pressed).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Did you order yours from Amazon? If so, I bet that's why you'd have gotten DVD-Rs, because I think they might fulfill all "their" WB Archive orders themselves, rather than receiving product from Warner.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
Did you order yours from Amazon? If so, I bet that's why you'd have gotten DVD-Rs, because I think they might fulfill all "their" WB Archive orders themselves, rather than receiving product from Warner.
Andy, yes I did.
That must be the issue then.
However, I also pre-ordered a copy from WB in order to get the special dvd art(I love this show), which I haven't yet received.
Maybe those are pressed copies.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
My set just arrived. I am removing the cellophane and the disks are.....
:D :banana: :dance: PRESSED! :rock: :drum: :D
I will now take some "Alternates" that I obtained by "other means" to the Neighborhood Bar I own, where they will get HAMMERED! :laugh:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
Andy, yes I did.
That must be the issue then.
However, I also pre-ordered a copy from WB in order to get the special dvd art(I love this show), which I haven't yet received.
Maybe those are pressed copies.
I'm sure that's what it is. The one you ordered from WB should be the pressed ones. Guess if you didn't want to keep two of them, you could horse the DVD-R one on eBay.
So, the one from Amazon was the photographic art, then?

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Regulus said:
My set just arrived. I am removing the cellophane and the disks are.....
:D :banana: :dance: PRESSED! :rock: :drum: :D
I will now take some "Alternates" that I obtained by "other means" to the Neighborhood Bar I own, where they will get HAMMERED! :laugh:
And that's why I ordered from WB and why I ordered now instead of closer to Christmas (it's a present for one of my brothers). I didn't want to take the chance.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Good news is the set is showing up on amazon.com. I will have to wait until the new year as my budget dollars have been spent on other releases.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
AndyMcKinney said:
Hey, David!
The reason WB included the option of watching the morals within the episodes only with the "play all" feature is entirely due to the fact that apart from season 2, all the other morals had to be sourced from lower-quality copies (only the season 2 morals were found amongst the 16mm elements).
I was consulted for this release and for awhile, it looked like the head honchos at WB weren't even going to allow that option (they wanted to do what Entertainment Rights/BCI did with Isis and just include them--by themselves--as a bonus item only). It took some persuasion within the ranks (I know I certainly made a very similar suggestion to what we got) to get them to allow the option we now have on the discs. !
Got it - and yes, this is certainly a much better alternative to having them turn up only in the bonus features. Thanks for helping to make this a better release!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
I'm sure that's what it is. The one you ordered from WB should be the pressed ones. Guess if you didn't want to keep two of them, you could horse the DVD-R one on eBay.
So, the one from Amazon was the photographic art, then?
Yes. I also got my WB copy today...PRESSED DISCS Yaaayyy!!:):):)
Pressed disc copy has clear case, and discs are lighter in color.
I ordered two copies because I'm a huge live action Filmation fan(especially Shazam).
Good stuff.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Bryan, does your Amazon DVD-R set actually say it is manufactured by Amazon's Create Space program on the back case art. I am just curious, since I was never sure Amazon was making their own DVD-Rs on the Studio Mod Programs, and the only MOD I have ever bought from Amazon was the MGM HIGHWAY PATROL season 1, which did list Create Space as the manufacturer. (Create Space later lost the MGM MOD deal to Allied Vaughn, and I don't think Amazon Create Space makes their own MGM MODs, but I am not sure.)
I also am curious as to how WAC is distributing the pressed versions of recent releases to the other online sellers, as both volumes of the LIEUTENTANT Season 1 sets I bought from oldies.com were pressed.
Of the last two WAC TV series, I bought direct from WBshop.com , I was surprised that THE GALLANT MEN was DVD-R and CHEYENNE S-4 was pressed DVD. I was thinking that the decision to go pressed on titles had to do with the pre-order interest WAC gets from the various online sellers.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Bob Gu said:
Of the last two WAC TV series, I bought direct from WBshop.com , I was surprised that THE GALLANT MEN was DVD-R and CHEYENNE S-4 was pressed DVD. I was thinking that the decision to go pressed on titles had to do with the pre-order interest WAC gets from the various online sellers.
Aren't Warner's decision on whether to do a limited run of pressed discs on a title done on a case-by-case basis, though? I was thinking that's what someone said on one of these forums before (maybe in the "Alice: Season 1 thread"). Maybe there weren't a significant amount of pre-orders on Gallant Men or someone who makes such decisions just didn't feel there was enough interest to do whatever the minimum run is for doing these pressed?
Too bad that Man From Atlantis apparently fell just before they decided to start doing this.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
Aren't Warner's decision on whether to do a limited run of pressed discs on a title done on a case-by-case basis, though? I was thinking that's what someone said on one of these forums before (maybe in the "Alice: Season 1 thread"). Maybe there weren't a significant amount of pre-orders on Gallant Men or someone who makes such decisions just didn't feel there was enough interest to do whatever the minimum run is for doing these pressed?
Too bad that Man From Atlantis apparently fell just before they decided to start doing this.
For most of their titles they do not offer pre-orders and when they do it is only one or two weeks in advance. Shazam was the exception. So far the pressed titles have been for movie and TV sets. The Gallant Men is the only one from the past few months that I am aware of that wasn't pressed. So I believe they are doing this based on their own expectations for a title. They must not have expected The Gallant Men to do as well which makes sense since it was a one season show and has been out of TV circulation for a very long time. The same could be said for The Lieutenant which was Pressed but that had Gene Rodenberrys name on it and they promoted it at comic-con.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Bob Gu said:
Bryan, does your Amazon DVD-R set actually say it is manufactured by Amazon's Create Space program on the back case art.
No, it's WB all the way.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
No, it's WB all the way.
the fact the 'photographic' set was in a black case would seem to indicate to me that, despite no reference on the package art, that Amazon burnt/assembled that one. Every multi-disc TV title I've gotten from the Warner Archives in the past couple years, pressed or not, has been in the clear cases (like you see on the "artwork" cover variant). I'm sure that any 'photographic cover' sets originating from the WB shop will also be in a clear case.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I watched the first episode today. Everything is INTACT, from the "Bumpers" at the beginning and end of the commercial breaks to the "Morel" at the end of the episode. :tu:

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
dhammer said:
I think the quality is very good. my only complaint was the dvd case was damaged- not the disks. I called WB and they said they will send me out a new set and I don't have return the damaged one. They said if the price was below a certain amount they can do this. You can't ask for more than that.
Wow, I wasn't so lucky. My disc 3 is cracked, and only after several minutes of arguing did the rep finally agree to send another copy BEFORE they received the other one back. She first told me I would have to wait 10 days until return was processed...

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I received my box set last week from WB with the special cover and I have to say I LOVE this series. I haven't seen it literally since the mid-70's when I was in 5th grade, so I was thrilled to see the show had held up much better than what I thought it would have. I even wrote Jackson Bostwick directly and thanked him for doing such an incredible job. And I got a response back too!! Now THAT is magic! A very nice individual. Hopefully I can meet him one day. I do have one question - I noticed they never gave a name to the communication device in their RV that alerted Billy when the Elders needed to speak with him. Did it officially have a name? And I'm curious what was it made of? It looks like half a bowling ball with lights drilled into it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Classic44 said:
I received my box set last week from WB with the special cover and I have to say I LOVE this series. I haven't seen it literally since the mid-70's when I was in 5th grade, so I was thrilled to see the show had held up much better than what I thought it would have. I even wrote Jackson Bostwick directly and thanked him for doing such an incredible job. And I got a response back too!! Now THAT is magic! A very nice individual. Hopefully I can meet him one day. I do have one question - I noticed they never gave a name to the communication device in their RV that alerted Billy when the Elders needed to speak with him. Did it officially have a name? And I'm curious what was it made of? It looks like half a bowling ball with lights drilled into it.
I just called it "The Thingydingy" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks