Shark cage diving

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robert_Z, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

At long last, I'm gonna dive into the Pacific to get a close-up look at sharks. I'm pumped.

Have any of you ever done this? Any tips (other than don't stick my arms/legs through the bars)?

Wish me luck!

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    The sharks are in a cage? I've never heard of this. Watch the movie "Jaws" before you go.

3. Matt^Brown

Matt^Brown Supporting Actor

I am not a big shark fan but that seems like it would be really fun. What types of sharks do you expect see on your dive? How long does the experience last.

4. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

No, it's kind of like the shows on the nature programs on TV. You drop a cage in the ocean (in an area that has sharks), jump into the cage and watch sharks in their natural environment.

Sandbar and Galapagos sharks mostly. Here's some info. Definitely don't expect to see any great whites, but this is definitely one of those "things to do before I die" activities. Nevertheless, I do hope to one day dive with great whites.

5. Michelle Schmid

Michelle Schmid Stunt Coordinator

Michelle Schmid
    I went shark diving at the end of '04 in Hawaii. Saw sandbar and galapagos sharks just like you will. There were a lot of sharks the day I went which was really, really cool. The experience was AWESOME! Definitely one of the "things I wanted to do before I die" as well--along with diving with great whites, which I have not gotten to do--yet! Someday I want to go to South Africa to see them leaping out of the water.

Take an underwater camera. I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but my bofriend gave me a disposable one the night before we flew out. For a cheap camera it worked great and those are some of my favorite pictures of the trip now.

If you even think you might get seasick take something before you leave shore! I know I get carsick and took something but at the end of the four hours at sea (in pretty calm water) I still threw up and I wasn't the only one. Next time I'll take two. Even with that the experience was still fantastic, and I'd love to do it again.