What's new

Share your online photo gallery (1 Viewer)

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Thanks Don

The little Canon S3 takes some pretty good pics. I'm hoping to get a 40D sometime in the near future so I can really go to town. I'll see if I can get some more uploaded to share with you guys on here.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Very nice, Kevin. I love black & white photography, but have not experimented with it since going digital. Did you shoot in color and then convert to b&w in post-processing? From what I have read, that is the recommended method when shooting digital.

A Canon 40D is my next planned upgrade, too. I've been using a Canon Digital Rebel XT for the past two years, and have been concentrating my "upgrade funds" on lenses since then. Since I now am set for awhile with lenses, it's time to upgrade the camera body. :)

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Scott-

Thanks for the kind words.

None of the B&W pics were converted from color shots. They were all shot using the manual settings in B&W mode on my Canon S3 IS. I did do a tad bit of post processing with the supplied Canon software, mostly a few tweaks to the contrast and brightness.

I can't wait to see what I can do with the 40D. Although like many others, I'm sure I will find out real quick the advantages of using "good glass". It's kind of a rekindled love affair with photography since my high school days and I've learned that there are a ton of things that I don't know about. I may end up taking some photography classes at the local juco after the purchase so I can learn to fully utilize what I have.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Finally started the move to Flickr. Still have some stuff to add, but I can shut the other site down now.

Pics from last fall's "foliage drive": Autumn (Oct 2007) - a photoset on Flickr

Not very original but eh, a couple of shots were decent enough to end up as my desktop background :D

--
H

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I would have the same reaction if he posted some nice shots of freshly fallen snow -- it's nostalgia. Of course after a week of streets full of dirty slush and the bone-chilling cold, I'd be itching to get back to California to ride my bike along the beach...

But I can still dream, can't I?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Glad you liked it. It was a gorgeous day so that made everything easier.

I've not really tried to capture winter this season, but my feeble attempts in the past didn't turn out too well -- dealing with mostly white and highly reflective landscapes may be beyond my skills right now (and possibly my camera's) :)

--
H

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Holadem, in snowy conditions you need to overexpose your shots by 1-2 stops, since your camera's meter will almost always underexpose an overly bright scene. If your camera has an exposure compensation setting (EC in Canon lingo), that should do the trick. You can always shoot manual, too, and overexpose on your own.

This is where shooting RAW helps a lot, too. I have a difficult time judging how much overexposure to use, so shooting RAW lets me adjust the exposure afterwards in post processing quite easily.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I'll keep that in mind if I get out there after the next snow storm (which is largely "overdue" by now.) What I mostly want to get is the ice on the trees. Some gorgeous stuff in the mornings on the way to work sometimes.

--
H

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Nice photos, Andrew. When you were in Banff, did you get up to Moraine Lake, Lake Louise and Jasper? There are some wonderful photo opportunities in those areas. Check out the Canadian Rockies section of my online gallery linked below if you are interested in some of those sites.

I wish I'd had a better camera when we visited the San Diego Zoo (it was probably 15 years ago). I enjoyed your shots from there, too.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Yes, I liked them too. The hummingbird shots were terrific. A few years ago I had one nesting outside of my apartment, so I got to see quite a bit of it. Couldn't get any pictures though.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Scott I didn't get there on that trip but have been in previous excusions. I'd love to spend more time there but that perticular trip was just a long day trip tagged onto a training session I had in Calgary so I didn't have much time. I do like your Hawaii photo's.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks, Andrew. We are planning on returning to Hawaii next winter for our 20th wedding anniversary. This time we want to split our time between Hawaii (aka The Big Island) and Kauai. The islands are an amazing place to visit.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I haven't been doing much lately on my site but here is a link to my albums page:
My photos

-Keith

P.S. Smugmug looks pretty nice. I especially like the uploading from CS3 and Lightroom.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Nice shots from the air show, Keith. I have not tried to shoot that type of event yet, but I did attempt some "birds in flight" shots last weekend when we were in Myrtle Beach. Panning on fast moving objects is a difficult skill to master. I definitely need more practice.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Nice shots in the air show and San Juan folders. But dude, I think a shot from your visit to the strip club slipped in by mistake!

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith

LOL...I guess that could use some explanation. Nellis Air Force Base, where the show had taken place, is just outside Las Vegas. The Flamingo had a booth at the show and was selling food. She was there to promote the hotel and draw attention to the booth. It proved to be an effective tactic.

-Keith

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"It proved to be an effective tactic."

Obviously!

I spent a week at Nellis when I was in the Navy. I was in a recon squadron, and used before-and-after photographs to judge if attack planes had successfully hit their targets in the desert.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks