Shane Blu-ray... in 1:66? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
PaulaJ said:
Er, that pic of an obviously older Alan Ladd in the embroidered vest -- what movie is that from? Because it's sure not from Shane.
Yes, it could be a publicity shot made after the movie was filmed during its PR campaign a couple of years after filming.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
No, Ladd looks considerably older -- not just two years older -- in that picture. I have some friends who are super-knowledgeable about westerns, I'll ask them -- they will know. ;)

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
PaulaJ said:
No, Ladd looks considerably older -- not just two years older -- in that picture. I have some friends who are super-knowledgeable about westerns, I'll ask them -- they will know. ;)

You told me "no" to my face in the previous page. Why ask your "knowledgeable" friends (as if posters here weren't) if you're so sure of yourself?

That scene is from the moment when he buys a new outfit and is challenged soon after buy some tough guy. It is a famous scene. Roger Ebert even mentions it in his Great Movies essay, in which he describes the clothing. The same photo is featured on the back cover of the R4 DVD.

alanladd.jpg
mfozMhNQAX9Byq5x_z47LIw.jpg
526.jpg
tvsinopse013.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
PaulaJ said:
You might be right, it could be from The Carpetbaggers where he played Nevada Smith, who became a western film star for George Peppard. It is a Paramount title too. Perhaps, publicity shots got mixed up there.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Sorry, Cremildo. Shane wears all of two outfits. I'll use Ebert's words to illustrate.
He rides into town with a buckskin fringe on his jacket, looking a tad precious to my eyes...
vlcsnap-2013-06-04-03h28m07s153.png

...and goes to the store to buy a new kit--dress slacks and a blue shirt with an open collar that makes him look almost effeminate in contrast to the burly, whiskered gunmen who work for Ryker...
vlcsnap-2013-06-04-03h27m09s132.png

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Robert Crawford said:
You might be right, it could be from The Carpetbaggers where he played Nevada Smith, who became a western film star for George Peppard. It is a Paramount title too. Perhaps, publicity shots got mixed up there.
now there's a movie we need on Blu

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
PaulaJ said:
Er, that pic of an obviously older Alan Ladd in the embroidered vest -- what movie is that from? Because it's sure not from Shane.
i was looking for it. I could not find any movie with that outfit, and he was looking too old by the time of The Carpetbaggers. It could be a generic publicity still or something he did for the cover of The Adventures of Alan Ladd comic book!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Dee Zee said:
I missed something. Is Shane coming to blu ray in both aspect ratios or just one now?
Nope. Just one: 1.37:1. Perhaps the thread title should be amended to reflect that fact.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Nonetheless that outfit is NOT in the movie and since I do not have access to the huge Shane memorabilia collection that you apparently have, I have never seen that picture before. So apologies if I offended you, thank goodness you are here to set everything aright.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to add -- there is nothing all that special about Shane wearing a buckskin shirt with fringe when he first appears in the movie. Fringe is a very practical addition to an outdoors garment as it whisks away water and keeps clothing dry. It is NOT just for decoration.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
Oh good, so it's going to be 1.37:1 after all. While I'd like the both-aspect-ratios option best, if one is going to go with only one aspect ratio, it should be the intended one (which, according to all sources, would be 1.37:1 Academy).

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Joe_Pinney said:
Oh good, so it's going to be 1.37:1 after all. While I'd like the both-aspect-ratios option best, if one is going to go with only one aspect ratio, it should be the intended one (which, according to all sources, would be 1.37:1 Academy).
My personal want would be the OAR of 1.66:1 Oh well, guess they can't satisfy all...

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Beaver got it wrong, the Blu-ray is not 1.33, it's 1.37:1. Looks awesome, but I hope the 1.66:1 theatrical version is coming out either on Blu or on Netflix and VOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks