Shane Blu-ray... in 1:66?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by PaulaJ, Mar 22, 2013.

1. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    History and documentation has already shown that "Shane" was produced and photographed in Academy Ratio 1.37:1...1.66:1 was a commercial concession by Stevens Sr. to Paramount after they sat on the film for 2 years...creator's intent is sancrosact in this example and is being properly honored by the new blu-ray, IMHO...

WadeM and Cine_Capsulas like this.
  2. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS was shot for 1.85:1.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

"Ordinary directors"? What the wocka does THAT mean???

4. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers is in superscope (about 2.00:1) on Blu. Thought I would appreciate the high def 1.85:1 version, it represents the theatrical ratio of the film, as any Blu-ray should first and foremost.

I'm not against the academy Shane... It's just that it should come with the theatrical ratio and not replace it.

5. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Screenwriter

Luke J. Chung
    George Stevens, Jr. makes it clear in his interview that it was Warner and not him that chose to release the "Shane" blu-ray with only the Academy Ratio presentation...price-point considerations for them make your alternative economically unfeasible, which is why we're at this impasse!!!

6. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

Since Pan & Scan compromises the aspect ratio that the film was composed in, your argument could easily fall back on yourself, and IMO, would be more accurate. Pan & Scan has nothing to do with anyone not wanting to see a film in its theatrical ratio, but instead has to do with people not wanting to see black bars and/or not being happy with a picture that's smaller than their TV screen. And it has nothing to do with people wanting to see square or "boxy" images. The "Pan & Scan brigade" that you refer to are the same ones who want a 1.78:1 aspect ration on their widescreen TVs, regardless of the ratio that a film was composed in--yes, they want a wide picture instead of a square. Those of us who support the 1.37:1 ratio that Shane was composed in are fighting against compromising that composition. Period. The same reason we fight against Pan & Scan and what you call the "Pan & Scan brigade".

It's the Pan & Scan brigade who prefer the 1.66:1 because it will fill up more of their widescreen TV screen. The people I know who used to like Pan & Scan on their old TVs, now stretch the image on their new widescreen TVs. That's why AMC is stretching the image on their broadcast. As the NY Post article stated: Stevens hopes the 1:66 version will at least used to replace the widescreen version of "Shane'' he says is currently being shown on AMC. "Instead of cropping the top and the bottom, they've stretched the picture the picture so it looks like Jack Palace's horse is 12 feet long,'' he says. "I know my father would prefer my 1:66 version to that.''
    Read more: George Stevens Jr. speaks out on the 'Shane' controversy http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies/george_stevens_jr_speaks_out_on_eYV1jnxnoOs92gpzodhqEN#ixzz2RfSokl8E

Look, I know you don't like Pan & Scan, but, really, your recent arguments go too far.
    You can argue it, but I don't buy it.

7. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Back in the olden days of home video/theater when concern over what TV-screen formatting was doing to feature film images started becoming an issue for significant numbers of people, "theatrical aspect ratio" was the term most often used to refer to that kind of TV formatting not happening. There wasn't anything magical or doctrinaire about the word "theatrical" per se. All people meant by "theatrical aspect ratio" was they didn't want feature films chopped and sliced just so they'd fill a 4x3 TV screen. There was little if any awareness of the complication the widescreen transitional period brought to the relatively small number of films affected, such as Shane. Nobody was really considering a distinction between theatrical and intended as the term became common parlance. So I don't think history supports the idea that a literal interpretation of "theatrical aspect ratio" was always the sacred goal of the original framers.

Pete York likes this.
  8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    yeah, the extra buck or two it would cost in manufacturing will bankrupt the studio.

The only reason for Warner's to not include both versions at this point is to price gouge the fans by releasing it separately.

9. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

10. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I can play the standard ratio trailer but the widescreen one says "The uploader has not made this video available in your country" :(

11. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Stunt Coordinator

Very instructive: You know cropping is bad when the diminutive Mr. Ladd gets the top of his head lopped off. We also lose many of the Tetons' nipples.

12. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Oh, sorry about that Doug. The widescreen trailer was uploaded by Paramount. I have no way to change their settings!

13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Just got this e-mail:

"The street date for the George Stevens production of SHANE in Blu-ray™ has been moved to from June 4, 2013 to August 13, 2013 in order to complete remastering in the original 1:37 aspect ratio"

14. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Amazon now has a back cover image. Aspect ratio 1.37 and audio is DTS-HD Master Audio: English 2S (whatever that means?)
    91P99JXoxpL._SL1500_.jpg

15. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    2S is 2.0 Stereo L/R.

16. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

Didn't Shane have a 3-track stereo mix created during post-production?

17. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    To quote Bob Furmanek from earlier in the thread:

18. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Er, that pic of an obviously older Alan Ladd in the embroidered vest -- what movie is that from? Because it's sure not from Shane.

19. Cine_Capsulas

Cine_Capsulas Second Unit

Gustavo H. Razera
    It sure is! :)

20. PaulaJ

PaulaJ Supporting Actor

Um.....no.