Shall We Dance? on DVD - new hope?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kenneth Lee, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Kenneth Lee

Kenneth Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this topic was covered (nothing came up in my search), but with the new Hollywood remake of "Shall We Dance?" (w/ J Lo and Richard Gere)(shudder), do you think there's a good chance we can finally see a DVD release for the great 1996 Japanese import film "Shall We Dance?"?

What's baffling is that even in Japan, on R2 DVD, there's been no release of that film either up to this point.

Thanks for any info! [​IMG]

2. Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy Second Unit

Yeah, you know, I have always, always wanted to see that - never came out anywhere. as far as I know... Disney/Miramax have it, don't they?

3. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

I have the video of this film, and CAN'T WAIT FOR THE DVD.
    If the US VERSION would have had anyone but JLO. She is a HORRIBLE ACTRESS. I would like to have seen GERE, reunited with Renee or Cahterine for this film. JELLO, is the worst actress and perfomrer !!!!!!!!!!

4. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I'd love to see this again, I saw it on VHS years ago...

5. David McIntosh

Apperently, there's an R2 (UK) release due sometime. Amazon.co.uk say December. Perhaps there's a good chance of a US R1 as well then.

Later.

6. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Isn't this another film to suffer under the Miram-AXE? I remember reading somewhere (on this forum) that the film was shortened considerably prior to the very limited theatrical release here in the US (a few art house theaters only), so to this day, the original cut of the film has never been shown anywhere outside of Japan in any form (film, home video, etc.).

A sad story that maybe will be rectified with the "new" (ugh) Hollywood version in the works...maybe we'll get a mercy DVD out of it, but I'd bet it'll be the cut version. [​IMG]

-Dennis

7. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

The Miramax version is about 15 minutes shorter.

8. Kenneth Lee

Kenneth Lee Stunt Coordinator

David,

Thanks for the update! Please let us all know if you get more details about that UK DVD release of the Japanese import film "Shall We Dance?" [​IMG]

If any more details show up like "Deleted Scenes" and extras, etc. Is it Miramax that is putting it out there also?

As you said, here's to hoping we get a R1 release of it (especially how publishers like to cash in on new releases (by releasing the original films they were based on, etc.)).

I'm still baffled as to why even in its native home country of Japan, "Shall We Dance?" was never released on DVD... [​IMG]

9. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Fantastic film !!!!!!!! i have wanted this since, day ONE !!!!!!!!!!

10. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I waited so long I decided make my own 2 years ago!

11. David McIntosh