What's new

Several hundred Warner DVDs are going OOP (1 Viewer)

Originally Posted by Luisito34

I AM talking about MY collection, not yours or anyone else's.

Translation of my comment: everyone else here is talking about how they'll never discover all the great movies in the world... I've never heard anyone think their collection could ever be complete... Even owners of 7000 DVDs...There's just that many great movies out there.

Bottom line: you must be the only one on the entire internet who thinks their collection is even close to complete. That is my point.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well my collection is close to complete. The films I really like are the ones I grew up watching on the telly in the 50's, & at the cinema in the 60's. I now own a ton of films I thought I'd never see again, & were just about impossible to see a couple of years ago. Of course there's films I'd still like released on DVD, but if I had to list them now, after 20-30 titles I'd be strugging. Enjoy what you have now, you never know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Very well said. I was able to purchase almost all of my "holy grails", including the Scott/Boetticher films, 'Le Samourai', and 'The Decalogue', so even if I had to stop purchasing DVD's today, I would be more happy than sad.

Originally Posted by Billy Batson

Well my collection is close to complete. The films I really like are the ones I grew up watching on the telly in the 50's, & at the cinema in the 60's. I now own a ton of films I thought I'd never see again, & were just about impossible to see a couple of years ago. Of course there's films I'd still like released on DVD, but if I had to list them now, after 20-30 titles I'd be strugging. Enjoy what you have now, you never know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Billy Batson ">[/url]

Well my collection is close to complete. The films I really like are the ones I grew up watching on the telly in the 50's, & at the cinema in the 60's. I now own a ton of films I thought I'd never see again, & were just about impossible to see a couple of years ago. Of course there's films I'd still like released on DVD, but if I had to list them now, after 20-30 titles I'd be strugging. Enjoy what you have now, you never know what's going to happen tomorrow.[/QUOTE]Same here. I've been fortunate that most of my "must-have" movies have been released on Sd DVD. My waiting list is small but there's a few that still haven't been re-released in anamorphic format that I'd buy. Thanks to (std) region-free capability I've picked up several of those in R2/4.

My only WB archive buy so far has been the "Barker" Tarzan set. Just me, but I haven't seen hardly any archive titles appear that I've had on my list.

Now, TV/DVD is another matter (for the other forum)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, MY collection is far from complete. Arbitrarily choosing just four years from the 1950s (1953-1956), (not to mention the 30s, 40s, 60s, and the remainder of the 50s) I want:

Affair With A Stranger (1953)
At Gunpoint (1955)
Autumn Leaves (1956)
Best Things In Life Are Free (1956)
Beyond A Reasonable Doubt (1956)
Bigger Than Life (1956)
Bwana Devil (1953)
Captain Lightfoot (1955)
Catered Affair (1956)
Congo Crossing (1956)
Dangerous Mission (1954)
Deep Blue Sea (1955)
Desert Legion (1953)
Female On The Beach (1955)
Flame And The Flesh (1954)
French Line (1953)
Gentlemen Marry Brunettes (1955)
Green Fire (1954)
Great Day In The Morning (1956)
I Am A Camera (1955)
Jamaica Run (1953)
Julie (1956)
King Of The Khyber Rifles (1953)
King Richard And The Crusaders (1954)
King's Thief (1955)
Last Hunt (1956)
Latin Lovers (1953)
Left Hand Of God (1955)
Man On A Tightrope (1953)
Man Without A Star (1955)
Mississippi Gambler (1953)
My Cousin Rachel (1952)
Not As A Stranger (1955)
Phantom Of The Rue Morgue (1954)
President's Lady (1953)
Princess Of The Nile (1954)
Rains Of Ranchipur (1955)
Revolt Of Mamie Stover (1956)
Ride Vaquero (1953)
Rogue Cop (1954)
Sea Devils (1953)
She's Back on Broadway (1953)
Sign Of The Pagan (1954)
Sombrero (1953)
Strange Lady In Town (1955)
Taza Son Of Cochise (1954)
Tension At Table Rock (1956)
That Certain Feeling (1956)
There's Always Tomorrow (1956)
Three Ring Circus (1954)
Thunder In The East (1953)
Trial (1955)
Unguarded Moment (1956)
Valley Of The Kings (1954)
View From Pompey's Head (1955)
Violent Saturday (1955)
White Witch Doctor (1953)
Woman's World (1954)
Young Bess (1953)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Obviously a serious collector! There's a couple of titles there that have been released in France, Phantom Of The Rue Morgue & The Last Hunt (but not anamorphic), I'm thinking of buying Phantom. I suppose I'm lucky. If, say 20 years ago I was to list my 150 favorite films, then I've probably got over 140 of them on DVD. Every epic I ever wanted (The Egyptian, Helen Of Troy ect.), every Hammer film I ever wanted, rare stuff like Terror Of The Tongs, The Damned & Camp On Blood Island (well the last two should be on there way to me). I'd buy quite a few titles on that list, but it's not like I'm waiting for them. I do wish that Warner had put out a couple of 50's western boxes, so many MGM & Warner westerns unreleased. But it's getting time to watch what I have got, & you have to be in the mood!

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
This list seems strange... I mean... Chinatown (Centennial Edition) going OOP 2 (sic!) weeks after the release?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
There are occasions where these lists get seriously fubared. I wouldn't get too excited about that Paramount list just yet.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To be fair the OP of that list did preface it by saying:

Paramount cleaning house? I am not really sure why the following Paramount release got posted as discontinued this last week. It all could be related to the following:

Paramount Pictures registered a loss of almost $150m in the first half of this year.
Paramount fills long-empty home entertainment slot

It may just be a readjustment with some of the titles coming back in a few months. This week MGM & Fox are quietly un-discontinuing titles they discontinued in May and June this year. So take most of the following with some grains of salt (at least until the water settles).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Same here. I've been fortunate that most of my "must-have" movies have been released on Sd DVD. My waiting list is small but there's a few that still haven't been re-released in anamorphic format that I'd buy.

I'm of two minds on this. In one sense I too have most of the "must own" films I want. There are a few classic titles still outstanding I'd like, but for the most part I'm good when it comes to one shot epics. In another sense, there are many titles I still want, but these films are part of a "series". Things like the Bowery Boys, the Blondie films, numerous detective/mystery series (Crime Doctor, Boston Blackie, Whistler, Saint, Lone Wolf, Falcon, Torchy Blane, Perry Mason, etc.), the Andy Hardy movies, a few more Abbott & Costello films, and so on.

If we are talking one shot films then I'm pretty much set, but if we are talking series films then I've got a long, long way to go.

I'm not sure what to make of the OOP films, other than to say that I've seen dvds go out of print real quick from time to time and this just goes to show you can't sit on something for too long in this hobby. If you want it, you better find a way to get it within a certain amount of time. Don't count on it being around 5 to 10 years later. That may or may not be the case.

Gary "still looking for that WB Abbott & Costello set that has been rumored to come out for several years now" O.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I remember back in the day when DVD was only a few years old we used to sit around waiting for an announcement for the Indiana Jones trilogy, Star Wars, whatever, when Spielberg wasn't completely sold on the format and held his movies back, when Warners wouldn't release an SE of Blade Runner, hell, even when we got truncated DVD versions of spectacular Laserdiscs (the 1-hr Jaws doc vs. the 2-hr version). Those were the days when we COULD say our collections weren't complete because there were tons of blockbusters and mainstream films that were waiting for their DVD debuts. Now, in 2009, when we've had all the "Majors" released and re-released and now the focus is shifting to Blu-Ray, we're just starting over and we're waiting for all those mainstream movies to make their way to the new format all over again. So now we have a whole new batch of people who are going to say their film libraries are far from complete because they don't have Star Wars or Back to the Future on Blu-Ray. Folks, there are tons of great DVDs to enjoy right now.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

I'm of two minds on this. In one sense I too have most of the "must own" films I want. There are a few classic titles still outstanding I'd like, but for the most part I'm good when it comes to one shot epics. In another sense, there are many titles I still want, but these films are part of a "series". Things like the Bowery Boys, the Blondie films, numerous detective/mystery series (Crime Doctor, Boston Blackie, Whistler, Saint, Lone Wolf, Falcon, Torchy Blane, Perry Mason, etc.), the Andy Hardy movies, a few more Abbott & Costello films, and so on.

If we are talking one shot films then I'm pretty much set, but if we are talking series films then I've got a long, long way to go.

I'm not sure what to make of the OOP films, other than to say that I've seen dvds go out of print real quick from time to time and this just goes to show you can't sit on something for too long in this hobby. If you want it, you better find a way to get it within a certain amount of time. Don't count on it being around 5 to 10 years later. That may or may not be the case.

Gary "still looking for that WB Abbott & Costello set that has been rumored to come out for several years now" O.
Gary,

Good advice about not waiting too long for some of these catalog releases. I have to watch a couple closely for sales before they might go oop.

I always forget about my movie-series lists, thanks for reminding me. I'd buy a complete Blondie movie series (the orig Columbia theatrical formats, not those Platinum sets) and the Andy Hardy set. I hope that the Andy Hardy set that was rumored coming from WB doesn't end up in the archive.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I've been a collector (of many different things) for almost 35 years now. Some things I've learned:

1. Nothing stays in print forever.

2. You always regret the item you don't buy when you have the opportunity.

At least this time, we have been warned. If you ever considered buying anything on these lists, now is the time to do so.

Most of these are already at overstock vendors like Big Lots, Oldies.com and HamiltonBook.com. Even Amazon is currently listing lots of those Warner titles at $5.79. And if the Deep Discount sale returns next month, I know I will be using these lists to plan my buying.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've read various, this is the end of DVD posts, but I don't think so. It would be, if the studios released a Blu-ray for every DVD they deleted, but they're a million miles away from doing that. A great many titles (1000's) will never be released on BR. I mean, Warner will release a BR of Ben-Hur, but will they do the same with Helen Of Troy & Land Of The Pharaohs, I don't think so. DVD's like CD's will continue to give me pleasure for many years to come.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Billy Batson

I've read various, this is the end of DVD posts, but I don't think so. It would be, if the studios released a Blu-ray for every DVD they deleted, but they're a million miles away from doing that. A great many titles (1000's) will never be released on BR. I mean, Warner will release a BR of Ben-Hur, but will they do the same with Helen Of Troy & Land Of The Pharaohs, I don't think so. DVD's like CD's will continue to give me pleasure for many years to come.
Agreed. Everybody needs to do some house cleaning from time to time. I think some of those titles like The Swarm might end up as an Archive Title, but The Thin Man Series (one of the most popular sellers of all time) and most of the horror titles (see you next October) will more than likely see another DVD pressing in a couple of years. Disney has been doing this for a long time. And who knows what Paramount is up to. I understand they just made major changes in their Home Entertainment Department.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hard to believe they're letting the Astaire/Rogers movies go OOP. I should think those would be perennial sellers.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer

Hard to believe they're letting the Astaire/Rogers movies go OOP. I should think those would be perennial sellers.
I think what we are seeing is a complete change in how DVD's will be marketed. In the past years at both Virgin and Tower you would go into the stores starting about now and see display after display of the collections, Holiday Collection, Astaire and Rogers, The Thin Man, Paul Newman, John Wayne and Liz Taylor. People would be carting them off by the handfuls out of those stores. Now those outlets are gone and it just does not make any sense to hold on to those in the film companies warehouses, so the companies just get rid of the stock and don't press any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks