What's new

Settings for HDTV Receiver (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I just set up a Samsung SIR-T151 OTA-only receiver with my Sony KV-34XBR800 HDTV, and I am really thrilled with the results. Even though I am not a Golf fan (boring), I was glued to the set watching the HD broadcast of the Masters. It was incredible, and really did have a 3D look to it. Even more amazing is that I am using an indoor antenna and the only HD station I could not pick up from the Milwaukee area is Fox. I checked a local HD website and found out that Fox is putting out a very weak signal and few people (even with outdoor antennas) can pick it up.

But I am getting off the subject somewhat. I was just wondering what output setting (720p or 1080i) I should use knowing that my TV does not output 720p, but instead converts 720p to 1080i ??? Most of the local HD stations are 1080i, but there is one that broadcasts in 720p. For this 720p station, would I get a better picture if I changed my HDTV Receiver output to 720p ???

I am also wondering why my Sony's zoom modes do not work when receiving 4:3 digital signals ??? My Sony doesn't allow me to switch to "Zoom" or "Wide Zoom", but holds "Full" mode instead.

One last question... As more and more stations switch to HDTV broadcasts, what is going to happen to Cable and Satellite services ? I would think more and more people (especially those near large metro areas) would drop Cable and Satellite and save some $$$'s. I, for one, am tickled to death at the image quality I am getting for FREE !!! A dozen or so channels is plenty for me.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As more and more stations switch to HDTV broadcasts, what is going to happen to Cable and Satellite services
The FCC is only forcing local stations to switch to a digital signal. There will still be a lot of cable/satellite only channels that stay analog. HBO, Showtime and others that have an HD channel will still only be available over satellite or cable.

-Robert

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Since your TV doesn't support 720p, you can't set the output of your receiver to 720p. It will display garbage or nothing at all. Leave the receiver on 1080i.
Actually, this is not true. True, his TV does not display a 720p image, but most Sony's will convert it to 1080i, so he will not see any garbage. Still, I would leave the box on 1080i and let it do the converting instead of the TV.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I am also wondering why my Sony's zoom modes do not work when receiving 4:3 digital signals ??? My Sony doesn't allow me to switch to "Zoom" or "Wide Zoom", but holds "Full" mode instead.
======================================

The broadcasters format all HD broadcasts as a 16/9 image. If they are upconverting 4/3 material, they add black bars on the sides and the image and bars together make up a 16/9 image.

HD spec is a 16/9 image at a 720p or 1080i scanrate. The station's upconverts on their HD feeds match this spec. The tv thus will not modify the aspect ratio on any incoming 720p or 1080i scanrate signal.

I'm sure you're aware that many early 16/9 sets would lock on "full" when fed 480p from a dvd player. They all still lock on "full" when fed HD-spec scanrates.

SeanA

Second Unit
Thanks Fellas. This is a great forum... I have yet to ask a question where I did not get some great feedback.

If your Fox station is like most, it is not broadcasting in HD. It sends a 480p signal that is DVD quality
Yep... the local Fox station is only broadcasting in 480p. Does anyone know if Fox is going to go HD anytime soon ???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks