What's new

Setting up iTunes for Multiple Users on a Mac (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Hi. I'd appreciate some advice about the best way to setup iTunes for multiple users on my new iMac.

Basically I have two user accounts (one for me and one for my wife). We both have our own iPod Nanos and want to keep separate playlists, ratings etc BUT we want to keep the actual music files in one location rather than having to duplicate everything and copy across iTunes Store purchases. We do have different musical preferences, but as we only sync certain playlists to our iPods it doesn't matter if we don't like every song in the library.

Would it work if we just moved the music files to a shared folder eg /Users/Shared/Music but kept our iTunes database files in our own home areas?

The advise on the Apple site seems to suggest that this would work.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
That's what I would suggest. One caveat - I'm not sure how adding new music will work. Seems to me that if you were to rip a new CD to the library, you're wife wouldn't see those new tunes on her account. They'd physically be in the shared area, but your wife's iTunes database wouldn't know they were they until she manually added them via the "Add to Library" menu selection.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Hi Craig. That would make sense. So, she (or I) would have to manually add any new music by going to File->Add to Library

I guess we could just keep selecting the main Music folder and iTunes would scan it for any new files (I don't think it imports duplicates into its database).

It's a pity there isn't a "watch folders" option in iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks