What's new

Setting-up Bose 901's with Sony Vision Touch STR-G1ES - Humming Problem (1 Viewer)

ghost88

Auditioning
Real Name
Ghost
Hi, I inherited a pair of 901 speakers bought in 1969 from the original owner. He also gave me a Sony Vision Touch receiver. I connected the 901's to the Front Speaker input and connected the Bose EQ to the Pre Out/Main In. I'm getting audio fine, but after maybe 10 minutes, a quiet hum will start, and slowly grow until it becomes a full blast noise/hum. Only turning off the system or jiggling the RCA cable coming from the back of the Bose EQ will stop it. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
The fact that the hum grows makes it seem like some kind of feedback loop, but then again I don't know much about speakers/receivers. Here is a link to a picture of the back of the receiver. It's not the best quality. http://i.imgur.com/WngSB.png?1
Also, yes I know most of you probably think Bose and the 901's are s*** but if you could just offer me some advice instead of "why bother with such terrible speakers" I would greatly appreciate it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To rule out the EQ, switch to using the tape loop. IF the hum persists then, then yes...somewhere you are building a ground loop. And, good luck with the ground loop...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks