What's new

Setting up an apartment bedroom (1 Viewer)

AdamZerlin

Auditioning
My bedroom isn't the largest of rooms so I'm not looking for anything that'll shatter glass. :)

However, I would like to put in a decent system that won't break the bank. I currently have a Sharp 27" DVD/VCR/TV which is very nice, except for the speakers. I've contemplated getting a Tivo, but I do have a PC just lying around (900mhz AMD, 40GB HD) that could be setup as a Tivo-esque system. My thoughts on that system are to install a wireless card into the PC to connect it to my network so that I can access my music on this computer as well as movies/pictures.

My end goal would be to setup a media center without the media center PC on the shelves. :)

What do you all recommend I do? Figure that I don't want to spend over $600 for this project. Ready...set...go! ;)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What do you all recommend I do?
Pretty tall request, Adam, since you didn’t give us much information on what you’re trying to accomplish. I can’t tell, for instance, if this is supposed to be something computer-based, or if you’re trying to integrate some home theater electronics and speakers into what you already have.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Adam,

Welcome to the forum.

As Wayne pointed out: what is it (exactly) you're after? If you make it more clear, we might even suggest moving this thread to a more appropriate forum here, but now I really wouldn't know which one is the best.

Be sure we like to help you - and some of us really can!

Cees

AdamZerlin

Auditioning
Oops. Well, I'm a bit torn. Regardless, though, I would like to have surround sound. The small speakers in my TV just don't cut it. So that would be the prime objective.

I have a DVD/VCR built into my TV, so that is taken care of. However, I would like the functionality of a Tivo system by either purchasing a Tivo or setting up my PC (which I hardly use anyways) or my laptop (Dell 433mhz celeron) with an external HD for storage.

I know that I don't need an expensive sound system because it would be overkill for the size of my room. I love the look of the tall sticks but whatever works, works. :)

My budget isn't going to be too large. Figure that I'd want to keep this around $500 if possible. If not, then I would get it in pieces. Speakers first of course.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Adam,

OK, I'll move this thread to "Speakers" then, where it will get better exposure. People visiting here are generally looking for constructions, etc.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks