What's new

Setting up a projector in bedroom (1 Viewer)

RussPang

Auditioning
Hi, just joined the site!

My wife and I do most of our TV and movie watching in our bedroom, so this post pertains to the equipment therein.

My Mitsubish WT-42311 started acting up last week and now it won't stay on when powering up. Evidently, the power unit may need to be replaced. Since we are in the hurricane Dennis-impacted area, the local shop said it will be a minimum of 3-6 weeks before he could get to it and will likely cost $350 to $600.

I thought it would be cool to have a hidden TV that dropped down from the ceiling making it possible for us to have a bigger screen than the Mitsu 42 inch. I did some research (before I found this site) and bought an InFocus 4805. I plan to build cabinets around the head of the bed and make a place for the projector above.

I do have a question!

I want a screen that will be approx. 10-11 feet from the headboard. According to InFocus, it seems a 72" diagonal screen would be perfect.

Can anyone advise me as to the best screen to use for this application? I would like to get a motorized screen and make a soffit for it and my front speakers to reside in but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Our room can be made fairly dark so I believe we could run the projector in low mode. I would like to spend under $500 for a motorized screen of this size (43x57)

Thanks in advance for any help,

Russ

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Well Russ, how handy are you?

I think $500 might be a lofty goal.

Consider that Carada is one of the more 'affordable' suppliers of quality screens and a 76 inch screen from them (non motorized, just screen material and frame) is $450 for their 'precision' and $525 for their 'criterion' line.

The Da-light deluxe recessed motorized models I've seen in that size start in the $1200 range. Although I think they have their non-recessed models ('cosmo' and 'designer') that are more in the $700 range. These are similar to the old 'pull down' screens you saw in highschool, with a motor attached.

You should probably start here:
http://www.draperinc.com/HomeTheater...edlScreens.htm
and figure out what kind of mount and if you need a tensioned screen or not... that will show you the Draper models and you can probably use that info to look into models from some of the other suppliers (Da-Light, Stewart, etc).

Depending on your situation and level of DIY ability, you might be able to build something... but if not you should do some reading on various companies, figure out the models that will work for you and then start searching the web for reviews and retailers!

I have never used them, but there are some 'almost in your ballpark' prices on Cosmo or Designer models here:
http://www.bigscreencenter.com/

Hope that helps.

-V

RussPang

Auditioning
On a scale of 1-10 I would consider myself a 9.75 in DIY ability. I would love the challenge of building a motorized screen. Have many people done this?

One more question - the screen will be pretty much hanging in the middle of the room, are these pretty weighty so as not to be blown very easily by room pressure of a door closing or very slow ceiling fan?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Most are weighted to some degree, although, again with a little work you could probably make some minor modifications. There are also tensioned screens which hold it in place a little better.

You might check the manufacturer site to get the exact numbers on the weights on each screen type...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks