What's new

setting speakers to small or large? (1 Viewer)

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
The bass from the surround speakers is being redirected to the front speakers (below the selected x-over point) along with the LFE track.

The bass for your LCR is being sent to the corresponding LCR channel.

With your set up, you need the fronts to large, sub to no and you can experiment with the center and surround settings. (large/small/x-over frequency)

Darryl

Neil McCaulley

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Philip,

I read the decription of the item and it said that they need to be installed under the floorboard of your home. This is what I meant by my home being on a slab. There is no space under the floor to install them.

TimB

Agent
Switched all speakers to small. My sub turns on with radio and cd now, like I would have expected it to. However, I think they sounded slightly better when they were set to large...

DarrylCHER, I am in the same boat as you with jumping between the two settings...

Oh well, tweak, tweak, tweak, it'll never be perfect right :)

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
On the Denon 2805,you have sub or sub + Main fronts. So on the sub + mains, i'm getting bass on fronts[set to large and the rest to small] and sub for everything and the x over is filtering out below 80[or what ever i set it to] away from mains?

John S

Senior HTF Member
It has been so long since I tweeked with any of the settings on my Denon 4802, I can't even remember all the options available. I will have to re-visit the options this weekend as this thread has peaked my curiosity. :)

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
dany, I own a Yamaha, but it sounds like your Denon has the same "sub + fronts" setting as mine.

I suspect that when you set the fronts to large and have the "sub + main" setting on, you are not filtering anything from the mains (The mains still get a full range signal).

In fact, you are duplicating the bass from the front channels and adding it to your sub, along with the LFE and bass from other channels (below your selected x-over point).

Darryl

pcdano

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
OK, so I will set my PSB 5T tower fronts as small ...now how should I set the crossover when I can set it at the Preamp AND the subwoofer? I have a Rotel 1068 Preamp which allows me to choose the crossover (40Hz-200Hz), and I can set it at the sub as well.

I think I should dial up the crossover at the sub to 140Hz (as well as the gain) so that I can control both at the preamp. Probably then set the crossover at the pre to 60-80Hz?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The crossover on the sub should be set to off or all the way up. The gain should be set midway and then adjust so you can calibrate the sub to a test tone using the preamp levels (often you have to raise or lower the gain to get within the +/-10 dB of the sub level adjustment on the receiver/preamp).

pcdano

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan

Yep, that is just what I was thinking...thanks for the confirmation.

As far as the small/large speaker setting discussion I can contribute this non-technical opinion. I just switched to a Rotel Preamp and Rotel 1075 AMP. The first dvd I watched was the new Pirates of the Caribbean, and I had the fronts set to large as I did with my previous receiver (top of the line Marantz). The BIG sound of that movie took out the woofer of one of my PSB 5T towers..completely detached the spider from the basket. Luckily an easy fix but the PSBs, a very capable speaker, couldnt take all that bass. So if your fronts cant handle the non-LFE bass of the movies today, which is still A LOT of bass, set your fronts to small and have your powered sub take up most of it... JMO.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks