What's new

Seti@home pt. 2 (1 Viewer)

Chris White

Second Unit
Andrew, I'm beginning to think seticache doesn't work right when you have a full-time internet connection. Just as happened the other day, I've finished running my current unit and instead of going to the next unit in the cache, it's stuck trying to connect to the server! It's very frustrating to have 10 units in cache and not be able to get them to process. I may try using windows explorer to move an unprocessed unit into the main directory and see if I can get to continue processing.
By the way, my seticache at home (where I have a modem connection) works perfectly. Again, this suggests to me that it doesn't work right if you have a full-time connection.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Chris White

Second Unit
Let's try this post again.
The Seti server is currently down, my work unit is complete, and apparently Seti Cache isn't working right on my computer. I'm running the Seti Online batch file since this computer has a direct internet connection. When I pull up the Seti window it says the following:
Found data file: no. Found result header file: no.
Getting data - connecting to server.
connect: No such file or directory
Can't connect to server; will retry in one hour.
It appears Seti is trying to download a new unit instead of processing the other 9 available. I thought the problem might just be with Seti Online so I stopped it and tried to run Seti Offline. I didn't think it would try to contact the server when running Seti Offline (hence the term, offline), but the first thing it tries to do is send the last unit completed and then giving me this message:
Sending result - connecting to server.
connect: No such file or directory
Can't connect to server; will retry in one hour.
Can anyone explain why seticache isn't working? By the way, I have it installed on my home machine where it works perfectly.
Thanks.
------------------

Greg Stone

Agent
Chris - I can't answer your question, but I had the same thing happen to my pc at home using Seticache, and I also have a fulltime connection. So over the weekend I uninstalled it and reinstalled the regular version. Sucks that now I'm just waiting to connect to get another unit...
------------------
Greg
I'm your huckleberry.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Hello all,
Well since Seti is down, I have a idea. If anyone needs some WU's, just e-mail me. I have about 5 day's stored up, aprox. 250WU's. I would be happy to send you some, to tie you over until the Seti server is up and running again.
And when Seti does come back up, I will be #1, WOO-HOO :)
Jeff
------------------
"The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Actually Chris my Seticache at home is a dial up account not full time. I woke up this morning to a nice web screen with an aliens head on it saying there was an error and that I wasn't connected to the web...it would try again in an hour? I connected to the web but it didn't do anything, is there a way to force it to upload the finished WU's and download some more?
------------------

Chris White

Second Unit
Andrew: If you're using SETICache at home, stop the Offline program and then run SETICache Send-Fill Units. This will upload all completed units and replenish the cache. After its done, you can start the Offline program again.
------------------

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
SETI@Home's server is back online, however the stats pages are still down. The server will probably be swamped by the backlog of uploads for a while, plus they say Berkeley's campus backbone is having some problems. With some persistence I was eventually able to fully refresh my cache.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Wow, what a week for me... I recently completed my 100th SETI unit, and I'm about to hit 1000 posts on HTF! :)
I would have passed 100 long ago but I tend to shut my PC down on weekends.
KJP

Chris White

Second Unit
It looks the program or server used to create the stats for personal and club pages is still down. It will be interesting to see where we stand when it comes back up.
I may have solved the SETICache problem. As you may have read from previous posts, when the SETI servers went offline, my office computer stopped processing even though there were 9 more units in the cache. It appears that SETICache is designed to send-fill units whenever it detects an internet connection, REGARDLESS of what mode you're operating. In other words, if you try to run SETICache Offline while connected to the internet, the program will attempt to send-fill and won't process units until it can make a connection to the server. So, if the SETI server goes down, the only way to process units from the cache is to kill the current SETI session, DISCONNECT from the internet, and THEN run SETICache Offline. Clearly, this seems like a serious bug in the SETICache Offline program. I shouldn't have to disconnect from the internet just to run the offline version because then I miss my email.
By the way, I figured this out while at home yesterday because while I was logged on I completed a work unit, my computer attempted to contact SETI (even though I was running SETICache Offline, and it wouldn't start processing again until after I disconnected the modem.
------------------

Chris White

Second Unit
Just close it like you would any other DOS program. By the way, when you try to close it, it will warn you that you are about to lose information, blah blah blah. Go ahead and close it, nothing will be lost.
------------------

Ben Guyton

Grip
It may be interesting to try Seticache along side with SetiQ, that way you could have a setiq server serving the units and downloading all of the new ones, and all of the machines can connect to it at any given time, so Seticache will always work. The only one that needs to connect is setiQ, and if it can't then it will just wait until it can. At least then you should be able to use up all of your cache.
Just a thought. I may give it a try and let you know how things go.

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Ben,
That is kind of defeating the purpose of SetiQ. With SetiQ, you can have up to 5 days worth of work. If Bearkly's server is down that long, then there is some major problems. Just my 2 cents, and trying to help out a fellow Austinite. :)
Jeff
------------------
"The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."

Derrik N

Grip
Chris,
Have you tried SetiQ? I couldn't tell, by your posts, how you have everything hooked up, but SetiQ might help.
I am using it at home with 3 computers and have been very pleased with its performance during the Server shutdown. I am using a dial-up so I don't know how it works with an "always on" connection, but if you're interested the link is in my first post on this page.
------------------
Derri(NO "c")k

Steve Owen

Second Unit
2050 Seti units for me so far (average of 3h23 per unit), all crunched on a single machine. Unfortunatly, it's good for my employer that those units stay in their group, so I won't be jumping over to the HTF group.
My processing speed was up around 1h30 per unit until they changed the unix clients. Now it's around 5hr per unit.
-Steve

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Would someone please tell me why my numbers have not changed for almost a week now?

Chris White

Second Unit
Seti@Home posted the following message today:
Our databases are under major stress at this point and cannot handle the extra traffic of all the CGI programs. Under normal conditions, we receive as much as 5-10 user stats requests a second, 24 hours a day. If we turn the user stats program back on, our science database will not be able to keep up with the data server, and we could potentially lose science results.
As well, we are not running the programs that routinely update the stats pages (like domain/team/country totals, for example).
We understand that the statistics are a major part of the interest in SETI@home, and are currently doing our best to get the database back in working order.

------------------

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Well shoot! I wanted to see my stats before I started falling from the ranks. Oh Well!!! Wonder how the group is doing as a whole.
I'm out for 3 weeks and will only have one unmanned computer running during that time. If that one goes down (California power shortage
rolleyes.gif
) then I'm SOL, losing ground fast.
Wade (AKA Mister Gin)

Chris White

Second Unit
Check again Wade, the stats are finally available again.
UPDATE!
By my estimation, the HTF team has moved up to #141. We're right behind Starbase 65. Good work everyone!!
Congratulations to Jeff Blair who, as he predicted, is now our new leader with over 2500 units completed. Good show!
I thought I might catch Paul this week, but was I ever shocked to see that I've passed both Paul and Darrell and jumped up to the #10 spot. Woo Hoo! It may not last long though. Our department is going to be shut down for the weekend while they work on the servers so all I'll have running is my trust old 300 Mhz Dell at home.
How many units does it take to reach the 99th percentile rank?
Ben Guyton is continuing his rapid climb up the ladder and should be up to the top 25 very soon.
I believe I shall quaff a lovely adult beverage in honor of 1) our new #141 ranking, 2) our new HTF team leader, and 3) reaching the top 10 of the HTF team.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks