What's new

set up terms (1 Viewer)

Douglas Rich

Auditioning
I have been reading and do plan on purchasing the avia set up disc but until then I have a few questions. Through my dvd player I have video set up options. The tv system options are just initials NTSC, PAL, and AUTO. I am wondering what those initials stand for and what they do. Also for video output it mentions CUBS, and YUV. Again what do they stand for and how do i use them.

thanks

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
NTSC and Pal are for the type of television you have. Since you live in the US you will want to set it NTSC or auto, PAL is used in Europe. I imagine auto would determine which one is to be used.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Douglas,
As for what they actually stand for,
NTSC = National Television Standards Committee (the committee that came up with the color encoding standard used in the U.S.) Also called "Never Twice the Same Color"
PAL = Phase Alternate Line (actually referring to the kind of color encoding that's used)
YUV isn't actually an acronym, at least not in the usual sense. It's a designation for one of several methods of encoding luminosity (=intensity = Y) and color information onto three wires.
See http://links.epanorama.net/links/videosignal.html
for one description of the different encoding methods.
I have not the slightest idea what CUBS stands for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks