Set Up Configuration trouble

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Methos, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Methos

Methos Auditioning

Good morning all,

I am trying to set up a unique configuration it appears and I am running into trouble.

Current Set up: I am running from the wall to a VCR, to my Bose 321, to the TV.

This weekend, I put a TV tuner into my computer in hopes of recording TV on the hard drive like a DVR and then watching the program on the TV and not on the computer monitor.

I thought I could run a S Video cable from the computer video card to the Bose, but according to the Bose manual, if I run a S video cable in, I have to run one out.

2 problems with this.
    1. There is no S video connection on back of the TV. (Perhaps I could run a S Video/RCA cable instead?)

2. It says that if I use an S Video cable for one item, I must use it for all items connected. That doesn't make sense as there is only 1 S Video In slot on the bose itself.

I really just wanted to have a DVR to record TV and watch it back on the TV and not have to watch it on the computer monitor. (Which worked fine.)

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Ed

2. Chris*L

Chris*L Auditioning

1. You could buy a graphics card with an s video out.

2. Just Bose not writing clear directions. Don't worry about it.

3. Methos

Methos Auditioning

Thanks Chris,

The graphics card does have the S Video out. I tried running the cable from the computer to the Bose, but no signal came in. From the BOSE instructions it appears that to have S Video in, I need to have an S Video out to TV. I have an older TV so it does not have an S Video In.

Even if I do run S video to Bose and S video to TV, according to Bose I have to have the other components hooking up via S video. And like you said, instructions are not clear since there is only 1 s video in on the back of the bose system. But I want my cake and to be able to eat it too. I want to have the VCR still in the mix. Perhaps that is the mistake. But if there is a way around it, I want it.

Ed

4. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Just get a S to Rca Converter. They are available for less then $10.00 the only problem with this usually is the Video qualitly will be limited to the resolution output of the S-video on your computer. Don't expect to see the same quality that your computer screen is producing.

5. Methos

Methos Auditioning

6. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Where is the Video Out? I'm looking at the specs of the computer.. let me know if I"m looking at the correct specs.. http://web.shuttle.com/share/product...c/SN25P_DM.pdf

The TV Tuner Card is Inputs only not output. if This is the correct Tuner Card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=15%2D117%2D802%2D02%2Ejpg%2C15 %2D117%2D802%2D03%2Ejpg%2C15%2D117%2D802%2D04%2Ejp g%2C15%2D117%2D802%2D05%2Ejpg%2C15%2D117%2D802%2D0 6%2Ejpg&CurImage=15%2D117%2D802%2D03%2Ejpg&Description=POWERCOLOR+T55E%2DP03+PCI%2DExpress+x1 +Interface+TV+tuner+card+%2D+Retail

Let me know if these are the correct specs. Where is your Video/Audio Out? I'm either missing it on the Specs. It's not part of your TV Card. Those again are all inputs. The one that looks like s-video is not s-video it's the special cord that gets plugged into the s-video type "LOOKING" plug that will bring in Composite video combined with your Analog Audio.

7. Methos

Methos Auditioning

My apologies for not responding earlier. I didn't get a notification of a new post as well as I was waiting for the S Video / RCA cable to come in.

The video out on my computer is on the graphics card.

You had the correct specifications on both the shuttle and the TV tuner. The link I provided for the Shuttle has pictures of all sides to view if that helps.

Yesterday the cable arrived. I searched everywhere locally and could not find one. I connected my S video out of the computer to the S video in on the Bose system. Then, with the new cable, I connected the S video out of the bose and plugged the RCA cable into the TV.

I could get a DVD picture played on the Bose system itself, but I could not get a picture from the computer. Of course I didn't get sound, but I didn't expect too either as I am addressing one issue at a time.

So I am a bit stumped again. Next try is to call Bose Tech Support, which I can only do during working hours of course.

If ever you are stopping by Portland, OR...come on over.