Series before your time that you have enjoyed

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bmasters9, Oct 12, 2008.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Supporting Actor

Ben Masters
    What is at least one series that you have enjoyed that was on before your time (in other words, through the magic of DVD, what is at least one series that you have come to enjoy, although you might not have been born at the time of the original broadcasts of the episodes of that series)?

2. RichieMagoo

RichieMagoo Stunt Coordinator

The Honeymooners

The Twilight Zone

Get Smart (It was made after I was born, but when I was too young to watch it)

Father Knows Best

Bugs Bunny/Looney Toons

Woody Woodpecker

Car 54 Where Are You?

By comparison, of the shows made in the last 20 years, about the only ones I like are The Wonder Years; The Simpsons and Seinfeld.

I watch no current TV.

Seems like some of the best shows were made in the 70's, when I was a kid- like All In The Family and The Odd Couple- I liked them then...and I still love 'em, even though I've been watching them for over 30 years!!

3. Joe Tor1

Joe Tor1 Second Unit

PERRY MASON!

Looney Tunes (certainly the best of them) were made before or during my early lifetime. But they (used to, alas) play over and over again on TV, so they might as well have been from my time.

That applies to most oft-seen theatrical series, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, etc.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Off the top of my head, I would name The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Dragnet, I Love Lucy and The Fugitive.

EDIT: I discovered all those shows via reruns (rather than DVD). I guess one show I discovered on DVD is Kolchak. And I'll add Leave It To Beaver as another show that was before my time but I discovered in reruns.

5. JoshuaB.

JoshuaB. Second Unit

Joshua
    Being a teenager in the 90s, I discovered quality contemporary TV (Twin Peaks, Homicide, X-Files, etc.), but I also discovered a lot of good vintage shows through syndication and later DVD:

The Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Fugitive, The Outer Limits, Get Smart, The Prisoner, Night Gallery, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, M*A*S*H, The Bob Newhart Show and Kolchak: The Night Stalker

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Well, probably my favorite show before my time is Leave it to Beaver, but I didn't discover it on DVD. I've been watching it my whole life. I'm sure I have plenty of shows from before my time that I didn't watch until DVD, but the only ones that come to mind right now are Have Gun, Will and Time Tunnel.

7. Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney Supporting Actor

Before my time: I Love Lucy, Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, ect.

Before my time, but discovered on DVD: Green Acres & Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.

8. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Supporting Actor

Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy, Star Trek. Those are the big ones for me. Been lucky enough to grow up in the 80s where there was enough 70s in syndication and enough new stuff that I didn't miss much.

9. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I don't think I've discovered any series before my time on DVD, but through syndication (specifically Nick at Nite); some are "Bewitched", "I Dream of Jeannie", and "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" (which I'm dying to see an official release on DVD; hurry up Max Shulman estate!).

10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Supporting Actor

Ben Masters
    One that I have discovered before my time through DVD (and this is one that I have enjoyed very much) is "Hawaii Five-O." I have all four currently released seasons' worth of that, and some of the things that have led me to enjoy that are the Hawaiian settings, the characters, the writing, and the opening and closing titles and music.

11. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I was born in 1963 so anything that started before me, i found in syndication. Shows like Perry Mason, and Twilight Zone. Even shows like Star Trek, i found in syndication, just because i was only 3 when it started, I really didnt remember much until i found it in the early 70s. Same with everything else, that was on network TV in the 60s. As a kid i discovered Andy Griffith, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, and so many more.
    Most of these i dont own on DVD. I found, as i got older, 14 or 15 years old, i enjoyed the hour long shows more than the 60s sitcoms that i loved when i was 7 or 8.

12. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I've enjoyed lots of series before my time through syndication (I Love Lucy, The Twilight Zone, etc.)

However, there are a few series before my time that I am currently enjoying through the magic of dvd because these shows were simply not syndicated in my area much where I was growing up:

Land of the Giants
    The Time Tunnel
    The Doris Day Show
    Petticoat Junction (the black and white years)
    My Three Sons (the black and white years)
    Father Knows Best

13. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I've gotten into the early years of SNL and The Cosby Show, but both long before DVDs were even a consideration.

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Wild Wild West
    Mission Impossible
    Twilight Zone
    Untouchables

15. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Yikes!!! I don't think there's enough space for me to list them all. But it's a great question and I'll limit myself to twenty. Since I was born in '65 and can't really remember anything that had a first run until about the 1st grade, I'll mention things from 1970 or earlier.

THE FUGITIVE
    RAWHIDE
    LEAVE IT TO BEAVER
    FATHER KNOWS BEST
    BIG VALLEY
    PERRY MASON
    OZZIE & HARRIET
    ROUTE 66
    VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA
    DICK VAN DYKE SHOW
    ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW
    FLINTSTONES
    MUNSTERS
    WILD, WILD WEST
    ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN
    ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW
    DANIEL BOONE
    HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL
    NAKED CITY
    THE RIFLEMAN

Gary "excellent question, Ben" O.

P.S. Just realized that I may have misinterpreted the original question. If the point is to list things that you ONLY discovered on dvd (not in reruns on TV) then my list changes substantially. If that's the case Ben, just say so and I'll adjust my answer as necessary.

16. heathjack

heathjack Stunt Coordinator

thehooney mooners
    I love lucy
    wlecome back,kottoer
    the incdabile hulk
    the lucy show
    courtship of eddiesfather
    the munsters
    my favorite martian
    alf
    perect strangers
    Quatam leap
    Family ties
    Kung fu

17. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I think the one show that meets the criteria stated is Perry Mason. I did watch it on broadcast television just after it was created, but did not really come to enjoy it until I watched it over and over on DVD. [​IMG]

18. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

I've enjoyed many shows made before I was born in 1967 and in general like TV mostly from the 1950's-early 70's. Although I like some shows made after that and a contemporary show here and there there is just something indefinably better about most 50's to early 70's TV (even if the particular show is objectively mediocre).

I think the push towards more "frank" material started by All In The Family (one of my favorite shows, BTW) made the rest of TV (which didn't have the benefit of the superior writing that AITF had) a more unpleasantly gritty and cynical place.

And from then on, shows that went back to the more innocent and idealistic 50's-early 70's template did so in that gritty and cynical environment. And as a result, they were self conscious and directly aimed at kids (whereas a show like that would've been written for the whole family to see in the past)

The Honeymooners
    Star Trek
    The Twilight Zone
    The Patty Duke Show (Oh, how I wish this would come out on DVD)
    The Donna Reed Show
    Get Smart
    That Girl
    Alfred Hitchcock Presents
    The Adventures Of Superman
    Batman
    Family Affair
    Bewitched
    I Dream Of Jeannie
    Gidget

and on and on

19. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

Duplicate post

20. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

About the only things that would qualify for me are early Red Skelton shows and game shows like What's My Line & The Name's the Same. Not too many shows on DVD pre-1954, and the ones that are don't really appeal to me. My favorite older shows are from the late 50s and early 60s.