Serial Numbers Cut Off Slipcases??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jul 15, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

^ Thanks Shane, I guess that pretty much puts an end to the question of whether this is on all the copies than...

Pretty ridiculous imo.

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Shane: Yeah, I guess they are pretty useless, and I do find them somewhat dumb. But it's like the jacket on a new hardbound book, makes it look nice, though a nuisance while reading. It's part of the packaging phenomena, totally irrelevant to enjoying the actual product but important to marketers...I'll get over it. I actually did get upset when my "The Incredibles" disc came without one, I'm embarassed to say:b

Thanks for the info guys, I won't go out of my way to get B&T anywhere special then.

3. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I got my B&T set at Wal-Mart, and it had the outer UPC cut out.

4. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

My Bill & Ted box arrived fully intact.

5. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Ahh, appreciate the info. Got Sideways from DDD and was upset because I thought they had sent a used copy someone had cut the UPC from for a rebate. (They also sent Foolscreen when I ordered WS, so it was still wrong ....)

6. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

I guess with these holes they are manually cut or stamped out before the card is folded to form the slipcase as on some of mine they are not perfect rectangles
    eg my Bullitt 2 disk SE has a very lopsided hole cut through.

We are now getting a similar problem in the UK with holes cut in card slipcases, but for a different reason. This is in the middle of the opening long edge, so a B&M retailer can insert the red tag security device.
    It does spoil the effect on my Disney DVDs eg Bambi and Incredibles.

However at least here they tend to seal around the card slipcase rather than have a loose slipcase over a sealed DVD. Have had the problem with R1 on mail order loose slipcases eg on Hellboy 2 disk SE the slipcase had worked free in transit and was very badly crushed at one end where it had pushed out above the DVD.

7. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I saw B&T at Suncoast, and while it was covered up by a UPC sticker, it was cutout there also.

"Pretty sneaky, sis."

Let me second the opinion that slipcases are useless. I can't fathom how a slipcase would push someone who's on the fence about buying the DVD over to the 'purchase' side anyway. I assume that has to be the reason these things exist, otherwise one would have figured they would have been cost-saving casulties right along side inserts.

8. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

In the UK we get slightly different slipcases to the US. Ours are mostly open only on one of the long sides, rather than both top and bottom. Disney are the only studio who use similar to the US.

From what I have read they are used in the UK as a premium addition to encourage full price sales on original release, as the slipcase adds around GBP1 to the costs but they can get over GBP5 more at retail. Mainly so film fans buy them immediately rather than wait until the title goes to sale when the price has dropped, but the title is usually slipcase free. I guess similar to the more expensive metal tins. This does not always work as some titles obviously did not sell well (or they over produced the initial pressing with slipcase) as you see them on reduced price sale still with the slipcase eg Donnie Darko Directors Cut which has a lenticular panel on the slipcase as an added value extra.
    The studio which really does limit their slipcases is Buena Vista and Disney as these usually disappear online pretty quickly, although in B&M stores probably as they overstock, slipcased stock does make the price reductions.

The other approach used to add value to initial pressing / release is use digipaks as MGM do in UK for some of their SEs, these then switch to plastic cases for repressings.

9. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

The slip-cases on every Fox title that I have purchased over the 6 months or so, included a transparent sticker with a small metal fragment placed underneath it (more than likely a security device). This is usually on the front cover of the slip-case and is so discreet that it's barely noticeable (unless you're looking fot it).

I have not seen anything like that attached to slip-cases from other studios.

10. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Malcolm,

Thanks for the reply. It is always interesting to hear a perspective from 'across the pond'. [​IMG] I think a lot of what you are referring to isn't much different than what occurs here. I guess I just fail to see the insentive, as it is the content on the DVD that matters most to me and not the packaging. I guess I am finally shaking my 'paper collector' roots (e.g. comics, carded action figures, etc.)

Just as an example of how much I've shaken this, you wrote:

In my opinion, I would rather have the more durable plastic cases, and I went out of my way to get ones for Grease and Saturday Night Fever over here in the States.

11. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

guys

I'm glad someone finally brought up this subject. It bugs the hell out of me also. At first, I thought it was only a few retailers who were doing this, but I started noticing more and more stores also doing the same thing. Does this "phenomenon" occurs also if you order from an online retailers such as amazon.com or deepdiscountdvd? if it doesn't, then maybe getting our DVDs online is the way to go.

tony

12. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

I think it does.

Since 'Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Collection' is the title that sparked this conversation, I decided to take a look at the back of the box at DVDEmpire.com. Sure enough, it looks like their copies have the UPC cut-out as well...

[​IMG]

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The Stripes slipcase is the same art as the cover underneath. So it quickly became trash. Those kinds of slipcases seem completely useless - a waste of trees.

On the other hand The Chronicles of Riddick slipcase was a little different, featuring a metallic foil, so it was a keeper.

14. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to correct myself...checked B&T when I got home, and it is missing the barcode portion on the box. Mea culpa! :b

I guess I've gotten so used to it, I don't even notice any more. At least the boxes are done that way from the manufacturer...if it were a retailer thing, I'd be pissed.