What's new

Sequels that have ruined the original.. (1 Viewer)

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
how can a bad sequel ruin the original?
Doesn't really ruin the orginal but it continues the story in a much crappier form all for the sake having the franchise continue. See im dreading T3: Rise of the Machines because who knows how much their going to screw with things. T2 pretty much wrapped things up but the powers that be want the movies to continue. Im not saying don't ever make sequels after good movies because they could be great, it just sucks we get so many bad ones.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
With Regard to Alien,
One part that I really enjoyed about Alien's deleted scenes was the suggestion that any adult alien could create eggs. Because of this, I had great fear about the single alien escaping, because it could multiply like a plague.

With the "lifecycle" presented in Aliens, there is no real danger unless a queen escapes. Any soldier aliens are just as dangerous as homicidal maniacs and will be put down eventually by a woman and a little girl (with perhaps some help by Marines or Convicts).

Because of this, Alien loses some of its menace, which is unfortunate. Perhaps if they had revisited the concept and suggested the Queen was a "mass producer" while a soldier could only create a few eggs, it would be restored, but the opportunity is lost (after emphasizing the Queen only lays the eggs repeatedly).

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
My choices are:

Friday The 13th part 5

It was a terrible excuse for a sequel.

Vegas Vacation

This is one of 2 movies I almost walked out of because they were so bad. Very unfunny movie

The second of the 2 movies was Batman & Robin.

Talk about a movie with no point. Just action. I was so bored during this movie.

Speed 2 is another no brainer. I was praying the theater would start on fire.

Paul

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
HALLOWEEN: TWENTY YEARS LATER It ignored the three previous sequels. Lazy, lazy writing. Actually, they should have stopped after the original...

Luc D

Second Unit
I don't know how many people are in the same boat as I am, but the Star Wars prequels have really soured my appreciation of the entire franchise. Watching the original films just isn't the same anymore.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
HALLOWEEN: TWENTY YEARS LATER It ignored the three previous sequels. Lazy, lazy writing. Actually, they should have stopped after the original...
Saw Halloween Resurrection last week and boy did it suck! Of course, all of them after the original did too... the explanation for Michael Myers' survival was ludicrous!

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
But none of this was in the film Andy. Whatever changes were made from the initial ideas, Cameron's film does follow on and does make sense from what we actually *saw* in the first movie.
That's why I said my disappointment is in terms of the missed opportunity. Cameron had the option to use the original mythology O'Bannon had created, but he ignored it. It wouldn't annoy me so much if the mythology Cameron created were more interesting, but it's not. It's average and doesn't have nearly as much potential...

NickFoley

Stunt Coordinator
I think its fair to say That T3: Rise Of The Machines will be a disgrace to The Terminator franchise.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Gee, usually I have to wait until a film is finished and I see it before I can know that. :rolleyes:
And what of the Jaws sequels?
Personally, I think Return of the Jedi did a number on the Star Wars franchise. Ewoks? Good for target practice and not much else.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I suppose the Star Wars Holiday Special could be considered the first sequel to ANH. It's really hard to get worse than that.:)

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
For me Disney's Lion King 2 , totally ruined for me the Original. The Lion King was such a well maid movie that I would think Disney would have done a much better sequel than what they maid.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Wayne's World 2 (the only thing watcheable in this film is the whole Village People bit)
Caddyshack II (the Frank Stallone of Sequals)
Slap Shot 2 (Two words: Stephen Baldwin)
Jaws 3d and Jaws 4: The Revenge (My god. Two classics in the unintentional comedy scale)
The Sting II (just god awful)
The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones (technically prequels, but you get my drift)
Blues Brothers 2 (no comment)
Men in Black II (just a total mess of a movie)
Jurassic Park: The Lost World (The entire theater did a collective WTF! when the girl started the parrellel bars thing)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
T2

I know I am in the minority on this one, but I really hate this film. In my mind it doesn't exist.

I feel the same way about the Planet of the Apes sequels. I've also always felt Jedi to be a pretty weak conclusion to the saga.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Peter, I'm right there with you man. T2 ruined my memory of The Terminator, a very smart B-movie which didn't need another chapter.
Ditto on all the Apes sequels.
I'm a well-known Star Wars-ophobic around here; I dislike all of them except for Empire, so I guess I liked the sequel, not the original, and not any other of the sequels, prequels or whatever they are.
I'm not much for Star Trek on film either, except for number 2. Same rules as for Star Wars above.
Finally, The Crow was great. The second was garbage, and I didn't see the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks