What's new

September 1 Music 'special event' discussion (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ah, Raul, forgot about iLife '11. Certainly, I expect to hear

something about that on Wednesday.

Always look forward to these Apple events. We Apple

snobs always end up with the best toys.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam - Yikes, should I tell you that some sites are reporting that iLife 11 may drop iDVD (and add another mystery program)?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't think I'll upgrade to iLife 11 or iWork 11 this year (I've upgraded the past two times). Thinking of an iPad upgrade next year, so it doesn't make sense to put much more money into OS X software right now.

Even if there's a big iPhoto upgrade, it's my wife who really uses it, and she's still at 10.5 (thanks, Adobe for that killer support on CS4!).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think it's a lock that Facetime will come to the Mac. Ridiculous it hasn't already.

It'd be good if the announcement was Blu, but that won't happen

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iBooks seems like a good guess, too.

I'd be surprised they'd be tied to iLife, though. Apple wouldn't want to require people to buy a $79 bundle before they can buy eBooks. FaceTime: that's so much like iChat, I'd think it would be distributed free as well. You want to encourage the FaceTime ecosystem. You don't do that by requiring a $79 purchase.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Other than a forward facing camera on the iPod Touch I want them to include a mic. It doesn't do you much good if you can use Facetime for video conferencing if the person on the other end can't hear you or you have to use a headset with built in mic to use it. A built in mic is something that has been missing from the iPod Touch for too long now.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Isn't about time someone got rickrolled?

Anywho, I thought about this a bit today, it seems pretty evident that FaceTime will come to the Mac sooner rather than later. What if they made it cross platform to start? Would it be g'bye Skype?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Anywho, I thought about this a bit today, it seems pretty evident that FaceTime will come to the Mac sooner rather than later. What if they made it cross platform to start? Would it be g'bye Skype?
Skype's biggest strength is a huge installed user base, especially in Europe. I have barely computer literate friends/relatives over there and they are all on Skype. While it certainly would be difficult to dislodge, domestically FaceTime stands a much bigger chance of disrupting Skype.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Apple is live streaming the event, for the first time in eons. Either big things are in store, or they figure it is small enough an event not to crash the servers. You can interpret it either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks