What's new

Seperate speakers for Music and Theater (1 Viewer)

maskman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
I am considering using my Floor Standing Cerwin Vegas for Music and putting my Front Home theater JBL mains sitting on top of them for Movies/TV. This is a dilema I have as my Cerwin Vegas give me great rich sound for music, but are too powerful to use as mains for HT, and my JBLs are great for HT, but don't give me the rich sound for music. Do any of you use different speakers for your music than you do for your home theater? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Dennis

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
yeah, do what's right for you. i have separate setups in different rooms, but i could imagine having them in the same room and doing something similar to what you are suggesting.

the only questions i have are will they be hooked up to the same receiver/ amp or do you have an AVR for HT and a 2 channel receiver or amp for music? also are you using a decent sub w/ the HT setup?

a decent HT setup should handle music well and a good musical speaker should work well in an HT setup provided you can find a matching center. granted one might prefer one speaker for music over HT and vice-versa. i guess i am curious about the statement that the CV's are too powerful.

anyway, it's all up to you.

maskman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Well, for my HT speakers I have JBL S36s 3 way mains and JBL S36s Center Channel. I have a Sony Sub. I think the problem may be that the sub I have doesn't provide that rich sound I get from my Cerwin Vegas. I may have to go for a better Sub. Everything wold be running from the same AV receiver. I would love to eliminate the Cerwin Vegas altogether because they are so big. I would guess with a better sub, I may get closer to the result I am looking for with music. Like I said, the JBL's are great for the HT set up, but I thought they lacked in the music department.
The reason I don't use the Cerwin Vegas for the HT setup is because they over powered everything else. I would just love to use the same speakers for everything.

Dennis

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
if that's the case, get a better sub. you may still like your CV's. either way, a decent sub will make most speakers sound better. the consensus around here is that svs is the best "no more research necessary" sub. they have an excellent reputation for value and performance. but if you want to go out and have a listen, there are many good ones out there. you could probably find a number of improvements on that sony starting around $300 but the really good stuff is gonna be more. a lot depends on the size of you room.

if you do want to get rid of the CV's the best bet may be to try to find a local hifi dealer who will take them on trade for a sub. then there are all the other options like ebay and local listings, or donation. do you have surrounds? could you use the CV's for that? i know they're big but you set 'em to small adjust the volume for them and put some plants on 'em or something.

anyway, i'm not sure you posted thinking you were gonna get a new sub. how much do you think you would budget for one?

maskman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
I would spend between $400 and $500 for a sub. But my room is not big at all. That is why I went with the smaller Sony. But I don't mind spending the money for a better sub. I just think the CVs are way too big for the room.
I am really just looking for the best speakers for Music and Movies.

Dennis

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
in a small room you do have the option of going for something smaller. i think your best choices are either the small svs pb-10 for $430 (white and silver on closeout for $375) or the monitor audio asw100 from saturday audio for $300. the svs will undoubtably go louder and lower, but the monitor audio sounds very nice for $300 and should have plenty of punch for a small room. it's also a much smaller box. either should be very nice.

maskman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to try the SVS sub. We'll see if that works.

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks