What's new

separating highs and lows between audioengine 2 and martin logan subwoofer (1 Viewer)

gregvm

Auditioning
Real Name
greg
Ok so here's my dilemna. I have a martin logan dynamo 300 8 inch subwoofer, and audioengine 2's. I mainly hook them up to my computer, ipod, and TV via a 3.5 cable. Currently I hook the 3.5 to the back of the audioengines, and then use the rca line out of the audioengines to go to the subwoofer line in's. For those of you that don't know the audioengines rca's, the work both as input and output. Ok so the problem with all of this is that the built in crossover on the sub will filter out the mid and high frequencies from my sources, but the audioengines can't.....so they get the full range of frequencies, and I feel that the woofers muddy up the sound of the system. I would like either a two way crossover, like this one being sold on amazon:

Amazon.com: ROLLS SX45 Stereo Two-Way Crossover: Electronics

OR, I thought up another option that may or may not be better (but it slightly cheaper, with less "tweaking" ability. I would prefer this method, if it works well.

I was thinking of running a 3.5 to 2 rca into the martin logan 2 rca inputs, the kind of rca cable with a "piggyback" design that would allow me to split the signal to the audioengines and insert FMOS high pass crossovers, at around 100hz (sold at parts express) in between, and then run that rca into the audioengines to filter out frequencies below 100hz (or perhaps 150, not sure). My logic tells me that this would work, but not being too knowledgable on the subject, I am not aware if this is just a dumb idea. Will there be weird feedback issues, impedance issues, weird humming, or the real possibility of damage to any of the speakers/amps? I have read of a few people doing some things like this. The support staff at audioengine told me the split signal idea might introduce problems, so he suggested I go the two way crossover route.

I'm not opposed to either method, I just want to know what will work best. I only found one two way crossover for home audio that is under 100 bucks (the one I link to above), and saw very few reviews on it. Since the subwoofer already has a low pass crossover or filter, that part of the crossover wouldn't be necessary, I just want to filter out the low frequencies from reaching the audioengines. Again, another question, is whether filtering below 100 is best, or 150? I don't know. The audioengines claim to go down to 65hz, but I don't think they do it well.....they are 2 and 1/4 inch woofers, and I feel they are being worked way too hard when I have the volume up. I also didnt see many home audio two way crossovers being sold anywhere online, it's odd to me, don't a lot of people have this dilemma?

Anyway, this is getting really long. Do any of you have any idea or suggestions, some pros and cons of either setup I'm thinking about, or perhaps another idea? I really like the audioengines and the martin logans, but I feel that I need to get them to pair up a little better.........I appreciate any ideas or suggestions, I know a lot of smart people visit these forums.

gregvm

Auditioning
Real Name
greg
THanks for replying. Could you elaborate a little further about how piggybacking and putting the FMOS high pass crossovers in-line to the Audioengines won't do anything to filter out the frequencies below 100HZ, or 150HZ (if I decide to buy that pair).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I "forgot" the inclusion of the high pass filter.(my phone doesn't allow scrolling up when replying) But...I would still buy the external crossover for the greater flexibility it affords. You may one day sell these AE and get a bigger pair. You'll only need to buy an external variable crossover once.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks