What's new

Sensor cleaning? (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Has anyone done it themselves? I have, so I'm just curious how many other brave souls have done so. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have done wet cleanings a few times using the Copper Hills product. I also have a Rocket Blower for quick dry cleaning.

With the auto sensor cleaning function built into the bodies these days, I do not need to clean my sensors manually very often anymore.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I got less terrified when I learned there's still a piece of glass over the actual sensor.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I did it tho it terrifies me =)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8MTQGY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I rocket blower most of the time but the grime got to me in clear skies.
The sky is where I will notice the sensor dirt, too. I am amazed at how well the auto cleaning works, though. My original Canon Rebel constantly needed a blast from the Rocket Blower, and wet cleaned numerous times . However, I rarely need to use the Blower anymore, and I have only wet cleaned my full frame 5D3 once.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not familiar with that product, Cees. I use the Copper Hills cleaning system, but it looks like that company has disappeared. Their website vanished several months ago. Fortunately I have enough supplies to last a lifetime, considering how infrequently I need to clean sensors. Another product I have seen recommended is Visible Dust.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I also use Copper Hill's brush and spatula. But gel stick looks interesting.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
My main hesitation for the gel stick lies in the fear that a micro gel particle would break off (and then would be sticking to the surface).

But perhaps this is not realistic and users on that site seem to be enthusiastic.

Cees

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I finally cleaned the sensor in my D7100 after almost two years. There appeared to be a couple tiny oil droplets on it. It's also occurred to me that, even with built-in cleaning, the sensor has to collect a layer of grime just by existing in the atmosphere. The higher res the sensors get, the more it's going to deteriorate the image. I used a wet system that appears to be the APS-C size of the same brand Sam linked. Everything went fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks