What's new

Selling something on Ebay, is it easy to do? (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
There are some sites that also host ebay pictures for a certain fee, enlarge certain pictures, do a slide show, etc. You should be able to use your ISP-hosted web space to host pictures, I don't think there should be any problems associated with this.

P.S. to Peter Kim - My GBA auction finished yesterday, eerily also for $51, with an a/c and a car adapter, case (which I got on clearance for $1.XX) and original box and instructions.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
A couple of quick questions regarding posting pictures in an ebay auction.
I'm going to be selling some items for the first time.
I was reading ebay's help section.
Apparently if I use them to host my pictures, only the first one's free. Unfortunately they don't mention a single thing as to how much they charge for hosting more than one pic for a single auction. Anyone know ?
It's $.15 for each additional picture (up to 3 total, I think).

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Which brings me to this question...how and when do you tactfully inform/remind the buyer to leave feedback? It's been several days since the buyers received their items according to delivery confirmation and I haven't seen any feedback yet. I've already left positive feedback for both parties.
Actually, I've found it rather awkward to ask for feedback at that point. Since it is not mandatory but just a nicety, I don't want to remind them at that point. As a seller, I always leave feedback soon after I receive payment. (I HATE sellers who "hold out" on feedback until the buyer leaves positive feedback.) Sometimes in my "receipt of payment" e-mail, besides thanking them for payment, I'll state that I've left them positive feedback and I'd appreciate if they could take a moment to leave me feedback as well upon receipt of the item. I've had some sellers enclose a friendly note with the item, thanking me and saying they hope I'll leave them feedback.

Some people are very slow with leaving feedback, but eventually do. There's a button from My EBay where you can check for all your transactions which still need feedback -- I figure some people just check there once in a while. (I kind of prefer no feedback to late feedback, however, since late feedback makes it appear that the shipment took a long time.)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
:emoji_thumbsup: Glad to hear that you did well, DaveGTP. Actually, I was a bit surprised to receive as high of a bid as we did, since a new GBA is only $20 more. Plus, the new GBA SP is a vastly improved version with the backlight.

Thanks Elizabeth...my feelings exactly. I'd feel somewhat mendicant chasing for feedback. However, I'll consider your advice for future auctions and make brief mention when I confirm that I've received their payment.

It's just too bad...I really didn't sell any high-dollar items. So my intent wasn't profit intensive. Instead, I was interested in bolstering my positive feedback.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't give Ebay your checking account information. I don't recall doing so when I signed up.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
4) When I sign up to be a seller, ebay wants me to tell them my checking account # ???
http://pages.ebay.com/help/reg/seller-account.html
I looked at that link about the checking account, and I don't remember that being a requirement when I signed up with EBay. However, since PayPal was purchased by EBay, it ended up the same thing as if I had provided EBay my checking info! I'm very paranoid, however, so I opened a separate checking account strictly for my PayPal and C2IT accounts. I didn't feel comfortable using my primary checking account information. However, PayPal refused to verify me using the account I provided (for unspecified reasons), so I'm restricted to a Personal account, and have a cumulative transaction limit. Don't know what I'll do when I reach that!

I'm also curious if any further info is needed for selling in the mature section.

Good luck with your EBay experience, Matthew!

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I'm very paranoid, however, so I opened a separate checking account strictly for my PayPal and C2IT accounts. I didn't feel comfortable using my primary checking account information.
I have this same issue with a lot of my customers that do not want to give out this information. To me this is rather trivial, as you do realize that every check you mail to someone has your account number and routing number on it. So technically you are giving it out every time you write a check to a stranger! I would ratehr have this info in one place (paypal) than send it to everyone.

If you are having an issue where you are afraid that Paypal is going to withdraw money from your account ... I do not think this is allowed under their policies.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Now, does anyone know how long it takes for Paypal to transfer funds to your bank account?

Their site says 2 to 3 business days and the guy paid me on Wednesday. Today Friday, my account transaction page says the tranfer has been completed, yet when I call my bank, there is nothing there. Is there typically a delay?

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Yes, Travis...for me, it took another day before the funds 'showed' on my online account. Probably something to do with banks policy of 'deposits made after 2 p.m...'

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Matthew, I'm afraid I don't know what the best step would be for you. You could try adding the notation about the 10-day hold for cashier's checks now. ANY change to the terms now might be cause for a little debate with the winner if they claim it didn't state that at the time they placed the bid, though. I've never revised an auction AFTER there were bids on it, but I would imagine at least the current high bidder would receive an e-mail stating that there had been a revision to an auction they bid on. I hope someone else can verify this. . . The problem, too, is that there are probably people who have your auction on their "watch" list after reading your initial listing and may not re-read it again before they snipe it. Sorry I can't help you with this. . . Good luck with it!

Since I saw this thread again, I have a slight problem with a buyer as well. My auction ended on 3/31, and payment was required within 10 days. In response to a reminder, my buyer e-mailed me on 4/8 that payment was sent through the mail. On 4/20, I sent another e-mail that payment still had not arrived, and I would wait a bit longer until the 26th before he forfeited his right to the item. He replied the same day stating that payment was sent (he did not specify a date this time). So it is now at least 2 weeks since payment was supposedly sent. What am I to do if payment does not arrive, but he insists it was sent? Normally, a letter takes 4 or 5 days to arrive from the mainland; the longest it has taken was about 9 days. The buyer has a feedback of over 100 positive, with only 1 neutral and 1 negative. I realize it could be a postal service mess-up, but I don't know what to do now.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
(I kind of prefer no feedback to late feedback, however, since late feedback makes it appear that the shipment took a long time.)
It only appears that way for the 90 days people can check the auction out. After that, there is no way of knowing how much of a gap is between end of auction and feedback.

I also do the friendly reminder after I mail out an item stating that I already left feedback for them, and would appreciate some in return once they get the item in good condition.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Matthew_V, really, how big of a risk do you think you're taking by opffering cashier's check as a payment option? I would bet it's extremely rare, and not enough reason to go through the hassle of changing the terms after the auction has already started. What amount are you expecting to receive?

Travis, which transaction are you talking about? There's one transaction to get the money into your PayPal account, and another to get it from PayPal to your bank account. The first one is initiated by the buyer, the second one needs to be initiated by you. And yes, it does take a few days for the money to show up.

EDIT: oops, saw now that it was posted almost 2 weeks ago, you've probably figured it out already. :b

/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks